+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The discrete TC-7520(SE)(+) line output

I'm Jerry.

Mine has been installed for about a week now. Over that period the sound quality has improved to the point where I now believe its reached its optimum performance. And what a performance, Stan you will have to go some to beat this with next years model.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jan.

The post came by this morning; now where is that screwdriver.....
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm Jerry.

I am a bit surprised that there has been so few responses apart from mine.....
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

TBH i've been so busy I haven't had much time to listen to music properly this last week or so (crime I know). I'd previously been using the Caiman with just a passive cap mod (some polyester caps picked up from Ebay) and was happy enough with the sound but always one for not missing out thought it worth punt.

The proper way of testing would have been to replace the caps with the board and do some comparisons but life's too short, so as well as installing the board it also got the Murta regs at the same time.

The sound of the combination is noticable even without any direct comparison. The first thing was that the there's more high-frequency detail (cymbols etc). Also the bass seems tighter than the caps, but no more deeper or extended.

Oh I don't know - it seems a good buy, the rest of the high-fi isn't up to distinguishing the difference I suspect.

I have to lift my hat (no smiles for that) to Stan for forever tweaking and providing us the fruits of his work. At the end of the day it's all about the music.

BTW - The cardboard box for Charlize has gone and she's now in an anonymous aluminium box.
    Graham

Squeezebox 3 -> Caiman (Murta'd, Gator'd) -> Starfish -> Charlize 2 -> Heybrook HB1
    Hibernated: Dual CS-505-1/Nagaoka MP10; AKAI AA-R30 Receiver; Sony TC-K611S Tape; Marantz CD65DX; Sonic Impact T-Amp
    In the body shop: Hacking a 405-2

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Totally off topic, but I love the series of books referred to in your avatar Jerry - made for entrancing reading years ago when I commuted to London. i tend to re-read them every ten years or so
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Just picked my Gator board up and fitted it. In the process I snapped something off the USB daughter board when removing (or trying to remove) the glue in the way of the new board. Er, Stan, how much for a new USB board ? I use it very rarely though, so ce la vie.

Initial impressions. More bass. Much much more bass. Trying to match volumes with the earlier passive mod in general, but there is noticeably more bass. I do not object to this per se. Speaker positioning to play later. Maybe in the week.

Thanks again to Stan for continuing to evolve an already excellent product!

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Totally off topic, but I love the series of books referred to in your avatar Jerry - made for entrancing reading years ago when I commuted to London. i tend to re-read them every ten years or so
    Yea, I have read them three times myself. In the middle of Against All Things Ending-the next to last one.
    Jerry

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
    Just picked my Gator board up and fitted it. In the process I snapped something off the USB daughter board when removing (or trying to remove) the glue in the way of the new board. Er, Stan, how much for a new USB board ? I use it very rarely though, so ce la vie.

Initial impressions. More bass. Much much more bass. Trying to match volumes with the earlier passive mod in general, but there is noticeably more bass. I do not object to this per se. Speaker positioning to play later. Maybe in the week.

Thanks again to Stan for continuing to evolve an already excellent product!
    The user comparisons between the passive mod and theGator board are interesting...
    be good to see them trickling out.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Kendal.

My Gator Showed up today!

But my Denon D2000's fell apart on Friday

So it's going to be a while before I get to hear it Can anyone suggest some alternatives in the £200-£300 price range? I've always had "listener fatigue" with the Denons (not the caiman's fault, same problem when plugged into the laptop) Advice please so I can try out my Gator!

I'm Robert.

Still waiting for mine. Snow has turned to ice. Can anyone tell me which delivery company it is being shipped by please.
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast