+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has this board come to a near stand-still?

I'm Nick.

I like the fact that this board is a little more country lane than super highway - I can keep up with what's being said unlike some places where it feel like you're shouting into a void

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I like the fact that this board is a little more country lane than super highway - I can keep up with what's being said unlike some places where it feel like you're shouting into a void
    Good point Beechy, I was a member of a Saab forum a few years back, there were something like 13,000 members with at least 2,000 regular posters. I felt that it was not even worth contributing half the time and to keep up with the posts was a 24hr affair! Great for getting info though and plenty of answers to any question posed, however most of the threads degenerated into arguments so not always helpful.

This place will peak and trough, but that's expected. Troughs are certainly expected in the Summer time. Who really wants to be inside listening to hi-fi (or chatting about it) when the sun is shining are the barbeque is cooking?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Good point Beechy, I was a member of a Saab forum a few years back, there were something like 13,000 members with at least 2,000 regular posters. I felt that it was not even worth contributing half the time and to keep up with the posts was a 24hr affair! Great for getting info though and plenty of answers to any question posed, however most of the threads degenerated into arguments so not always helpful.

This place will peak and trough, but that's expected. Troughs are certainly expected in the Summer time. Who really wants to be inside listening to hi-fi (or chatting about it) when the sun is shining are the barbeque is cooking?

I understand that. I'm a member of the Steve Hoffman forums, and the place is so huge there is no way to keep up. You just have to choose the few threads you're going to follow and often, if you're away for a day, you have to use search to find them, there is so much going on. But if you want to know what is the best pressing of an obscure album, that's the place to ask. And get a half dozen answers.

Tim

Sadly there seems to be no audio forum where you can find out about reliability issues ( the German "HiFi Forum" comes closest ) unlike some photography forums which are excellent in this respect.
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm Dave.

Well I like it here but have been too busy restoring an old boat recently and have not visited nearly as much as I would like. I have missed it actually as the discussion tends to be quite light hearted yet interesting and informative. I have put a link on my web site, I am sure it will pick up soon.
    Dave

MartinT Guest

If I may say something constructive without hurting feelings, I sometimes don't really know where to post a message as the categories are not all that clear. For instance, if I want to talk about speakers...?
    I moderate the hi-fi conference in CIX and we have categories for most types of source equipment, amps and speakers as well as a general discussion area and a reviews section for music. There's even a loony section for controversial discussions. It does make it easier to both create and find threads on particular topics.

I'm Mike.

Default Expediency or artistry?

Yes, I find it a bit confusing at times, but the moderators have degrees in juggling, so it all finds its proper place in the end !

Different, though !!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. We always like to hear what our members think and act on any useful suggestions. There is even a dedicated area on the forum for this

Martin and Mike, I take your point, but it's really quite simple: any hi-fi topic that doesn't have a specific room dedicated to it goes into 'Blank Canvas' (General hi-fi discussion). Therefore because there isn't a specific room for discussions on loudspeakers it goes into the Blank Canvas.

When we started the forum we decided to create rooms for specific categories of discussion so that information on certain topics could be found easily, i.e. the 'Digital Impression' for CDP topics, etc, 'Analogue Art' for T/Ts, etc, and this has worked quite well. We feel this is a more user-friendly solution than everything bunged under 'Audio' like, say, on PFM.

With hindsight, a separate room perhaps should have been created for loudspeaker discussions but a line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise the forum would be spread too thinly with a separate room for every single possible topic.

However your points have been duly noted. If anyone has any further comments or suggestions they'd like to make on any other matter please do so in our member feedback area, 'Critics Corner'

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I thought it was me that was dead, well at least my interest in audio kit and forums, due to a lot of recent/last few months or so forum stuff.....

Music has taken a hit due to been too busy with work and kids, usually leaving home 0800h and earlier to 2100h and later with work and odd days off due to family commitments....Yawn...Ive been sitting here with earphones on my head and no music playing for 20 minutes...thats getting bad aint it..

As for forum activity, most seem to be in a similar boat, with teh die hard all nighters and such keeping up the vigil.

I'm InSpace.

I can sympathise with you there matey!

'Life' might be a bitch to some..... but to most of us 'it matters'!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast