+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You decide

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Ok then, this may be a little more contentious

Anyone remember the green pens that you used to coat the edge of a CD with?

If i remember correctly the idea was that spurious radiation from the laser that managed to diffract/reflect (whatever) towards the disc edge was absorbed by the green colouring?

Interestingly enough Krell made at least one cd player or transport that bathed the whole CD in green light via a load of LEDs each side of the disc to do the same trick.

So hows about it?
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Do I think it makes any difference? Hmm, well of course I’m deaf as a post and have a rubbish Hi Fi,like most objectivists, so I’m probably not the best person to ask. However, I bet one of the golden eared subjectivists here will be able to tell you
    John,
    You should try doing a search on AoS for posts by our friend Shippy - that'll make yer toes curl!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Interestingly enough Krell made at least one cd player or transport that bathed the whole CD in green light via a load of LEDs each side of the disc to do the same trick.
    What better way to justify the very high cost of the machine than to provide a smoke and mirrors floor show as well as playing CDs ?

The green LEDs probably did nothing sonically to the end result, but you've got to admit that the visuals did one hell of a lot for the psychological well being of the owner, what with pride of ownership and whatnot.
    All that and an eery green coolness everytime the disc compartment was opened.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What better way to justify the very high cost of the machine than to provide a smoke and mirrors floor show as well as playing CDs ?

The green LEDs probably did nothing sonically to the end result, but you've got to admit that the visuals did one hell of a lot for the psychological well being of the owner, what with pride of ownership and whatnot.
    All that and an eery green coolness everytime the disc compartment was opened.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Is he holding one of these?

..........surely that would be 'cool green eary-ness' rather than Chris' 'eery green coolness'?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I think so - not seen them in that finish before though, are they bespock?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Jeez, you must be as knackered as I am!

4 days at Butlins with a nearly two-year old - supposed to be a "break" - yep, I got broken!
    Alex

I'm John.

I’ll see your 4 days in butlins with a nearly two year old and raise you a whole week at centre parks with two daughters and their teenage boyfriends
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast