+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epos ES14 recap

I'm Rob.

Default Epos ES14 recap

Hello,

I have a pair of Epos ES14 that must have been stored in a humid place as the front screws are rusted. The speakers works very well, but I’m tempted to recap them.

I am doing a bit of a double post here as I asked the question on another forum, but I’d like as many opinions as possible before carrying the work.

I read that the Jentzen Superior Z cap are doing a good improvement on the ES14. Obviously I could also go for some cheap caps and end up paying 1/5 of the price. I’ve also read that the Mundorf are a bit of a disappointment.

Does anyone here have ever recapped the ES14s? What is your experience?

Thank you

I'm Alan.

Not recapped an ES14 but a good mid priced cap is the Audyn Cap MKP Plus

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...-plus-cap.html
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Rob.

Have you ever been able to make a comparison in some speakers? They are roughly the same price as the Z caps. As the caps in the ES14 are 3uf, I’ll use a 2.7uf + 0.33uf I believe.

I have found an interesting website, https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

I believe this has to be taken with a pinch of salt

I'm jamie.

i believe theres only 1 cap per speaker so go for it,i would.

I'm Rob.

Correct, one on each. But they are 3uf. If I go for the Z cap, they only exist in 2.7uf or 3.3uf, so I’ll either have to use 2x 1.5uf or 2.7uf + 0.27/33uf.

I'm jamie.

change brand,any good quality cap will do.

I'm Rob.

Well I don’t know, I see so many different opinions.

Some saying they don’t need to be changed because they don’t age.

Others saying any brand would do.

And finally some seems to say they have tried different options and the Z caps are the best.

However I’m wondering if I will hear as an obvious difference as these people suggest. I don’t know.

I'm jamie.

you're right,if they are not electrolytic capacitors then they probably dont need changing.but as its only 1 per speaker then why not and then you'll find out for yourself if its made a difference.
    as you have already said,take it all with a pinch of salt. dont get hung up on 1 brand,its more important to get the value right imo.

I'm charles.

Changing the caps will make a nice difference especially when it's the only component in circuit. The Audyn cap recommended is good as is a Clarity Cap CSA which is not only a little cheaper than the Audyn but also available in exactly 3ufd.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...propylene.html

The link to the humble cap site that you posted is well worth a read, salted or not Tony Gee has spent some considerable time compiling this list. He marks with an asterisk his favourites, which of the ones I've tried have found to accurately fit his description.

Perhaps try the CSA caps and if you like what you hear and want more then bypass them with Duelund 0.01ufd.

I'm Rob.

I think I’ll try the CSA, it’s a good advice. I’ve read good things about them. Most people saying the Jentzen are better on the Epos but at the price I should try the CSA first to see if my earring is good enough to tell a difference.

What difference bypassing them would do? And how do I implement that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast