+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sacd player

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Oppo is a good option or a Sony SCD-XB790QS - https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...cd-xb790.shtml - if you can find one.

The Sony is the best I have owned and I've had a few 'flagship' players in my time. You might have to get one from Germany but will still work out cheaper than some over-hyped boutique job.
    I had the 940 which was a very nice sounding CDP as well as SACD, £200 from Richers end of line. Unf after a few years it developed a fault where it got hot and stopped playing after a few hours I think it was a common issue related to the decoding chip. There was also an issue with playing discs where you had to go in the hidden menu and recalibrate the laser with an SACD in it. If you didn't own an SACD you couldn't do it. All rather vague now but that's what I recall.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I had the 940 which was a very nice sounding CDP as well as SACD, £200 from Richers end of line. Unf after a few years it developed a fault where it got hot and stopped playing after a few hours I think it was a common issue related to the decoding chip. There was also an issue with playing discs where you had to go in the hidden menu and recalibrate the laser with an SACD in it. If you didn't own an SACD you couldn't do it. All rather vague now but that's what I recall.
    Not had any such issues with the 790. Mine came out of a studio so had a working life before I got it. Still worked flawlessly for years until the draw mech started playing up. Probably just needs a new belt but I used the excuse to go down the transport - DAC route instead.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread