+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 - Restoration Thread

I'm Andrew.

Which protracter did you use? I note that 18mm over hang is the recommended on Vinyl Engine.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm jamie.

211mm for your mounting hole and using Baerwald alignment gives you an 18mm overhang. to check measure from the centre of the spindle to the centre of the tonearm,in this case the top horizontal bearing screw.

I'm Andrew.

It's all good, everything checks out. I think I know why it looks a little strange. I think I took that photo just as I'd bolted on the 2MB and then I tweaked alignment at a later time, this may explain why the cartridge looks out of alignment??
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm jamie.

ah ok,i must admit to having an urge to get another heybrook/alpahson combo. it was very good!

I'm Andrew.

TBH Jamie it did surprise me a little, the Alphason never really worked well with the Lenco that I had it bolted to. I also very briefly tried it with a Garrard 401 and again, no sonic magic. The TT2 is also a big, big surprise, I'd always wanted to try one and one came up that was cheap enough. I figured I could have some fun and then sell on if I didn't like it. I'm keeping mine! I hate to say this but the deck does have really good PRaT (cringe)... It's better than my old LP12. The Alphason+TT2+2M Black really gel together synergystically. I've had quite a few different genre's on the system over the last two days and I can honestly say that the deck has handled everything with aplomb. Modding the TT2 is a virtual no-no as it's so well designed, it just needs a little TLC and your away.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

Am I right in saying they you’re running the TT2 through an Isokinetic PSU? If so, once you’ve got used to the system I’d be very interested to know your opinion on how much difference there is between that and connecting directly to the mains.

there were only ever two major changes to the TT2, which were the cast chassis (a retrograde step in my opinion, although many people prefer it) and the TPS1 PSU which was very similar to the Isokinetic. Since the TPS1 was introduced years after I left Heybrook I never got to hear one myself so I’ve often wondered how much difference it makes.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

Yes I'm using the Isokinetik PSU, it's a mk2 I think. I have to admit that I've only used the deck with the external PSU, this example came with a plug and no TPS1 PSU. I haven't tried the deck without the Isokinetik PSU, so I will at your request reverse the deck so that it plays directly from the wall supply but that won't be for sometime until I've fully refurbed the deck. I think it would make a very interesting experiment.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

Thanks! No rush, it’s probably 30 years since the TPS1 was added so I can wait a few months longer. ��
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

Part IV - What's happening?

I've stalled the refurbishment for a wee while, I'm just having too much of a gas listening to stuff with the Alphason and Ortofon 2MB cartridge combination. All I can say is that me and another 2M Black junkie should with a little luck be doing something a bit weird and wonderful and lots of fun! Stay tuned I guess. I do have some more new parts for the TT2, perhaps tomorrow if I get a little time I might do another mini-mini update.

Stay tuned.....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Hopefully an update later!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast