+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 - Restoration Thread

I'm Shane.

The thrust pad is intended to reduce motor noise transmitted into the plinth. It consists of a nylon cup pushed onto the bottom bearing, inside which is a spring with a nylon button that pushes against the bottom of the motor shaft. The motor itself doesn’t have a thrust bearing as such. It shouldn’t make any difference to the speed. It’s not unknown for the whole thing to fall off! Whilst you’ve got it in bits, a drop og sewing machine oil on the bottom bearing wouldn’t go amiss. If possible try applying a drop to the top bearing too with a needle. Needs a steady hand…
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

Part VIII - Holy Smoke!

Yep, the crappy title for the update gave it away. I wasn't really intending on spending any money tonight on eBay but I've just managed to snag a smoked dust cover from a LP12 which I think is the same that was used on the TT2 all that time ago. My TT2 currently sports an old Thorens (I think) clear dust cover which I'm really looking forward to replace with this new/old second hand part that I've just bought. I also need to make a better base board but that could be a little project over a weekend when I'm a little bored. I'll post some pics when the new dust cover arrives. Now, I need some help. Does anyone, or can anyone send me a picture of original Heybrook TT2 feet.

Thanks, stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt IX - The GURU has spoken!

Well one of the amazing things about this Forum is the ability to discuss this deck with it's designer! There is no way that I would consider doing any work on the deck without first consulting Shane - otherwise known as Mr. TT2. I'll be polishing the inner platter tomorrow. I did worry about this having an effect on the belts ability to work, seems I have nothing to worry about. The inner platter is looking a little grubby, so It can't hurt can it!

Pictures, at some point over the weekend. Stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Shane.

I can’t think of any possible reason why polishing the sub-platter would have any effect on the performance of the TT2, but I haven’t tried it myself!

Watching with interest…

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    I can’t think of any possible reason why polishing the sub-platter would have any effect on the performance of the TT2, but I haven’t tried it myself!

Watching with interest…
    I'm not trying improve the performance of the deck. I'm just trying to make the best example of a TT2 that I can. The inner platter looks a little grubby and the deck deserves better.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

Sorry Andy, all I was saying is it won’t do any harm!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Sorry Andy, all I was saying is it won’t do any harm!
    Hey Shane, no offence taken!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Part X - Not polishing a turd!

The TT2 has been one of those that I've really got to like. I've owned a few "Belters" over the years Thorens TD150, Thorens TD160, Thorens TD160 Super, Heybrook Sonata, Linn LP12, to name a few. I've always found the TT2 to be very simple and less fussy then all the other decks when setting it up. I love its ability to just convey music, no nonesense, no BS, just plays music and gets on with the job. I must admit to not paying it much attention but that's about to change! I'm lavishing a little money and giving it some TLC. We shall start with the inner platter. Years of usage have resulted in rubber being deposited. Yuk!

So, with a "can-do" attitude and an urge to spend some time in a shed, I did this.

Spindle got a good polishing as well, just for good measure. Attention will be going on the lid when it arrives and then maybe a nice new base board and some repairs to screw holes on the plinth. As ever people, stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

The Heybrook TT2 Restoration Project Part XI - Board senseless.

Collecting TT's is I find a great hobby, but, if like me you have OCD for originality can prove frustrating. This TT2 came with no baseboard. I'm now on my third and this time hopefully correct baseboard. Early models came with 4mm hardboard baseboards which were left unpainted, later models were painted black. No this is really causing my OCD to twitch ! My TT2 has a low serial number in the 400's, so did my TT2 come with black base board or vanilla snowball hardboard? I suppose I could paint one side black and have the otheriside vanilla and that would cater for all occasions . Aesthetically things are now looking better but the baseboard does sag a little. The solution to this I think is to use strong double sided tape to keep the whole board held in place even though wood screws were used originally. So that's another OCD trait, which wood screws? I also know that using tape wasn't original but I'm happy to make this very small sacrifice to originality. So, tomorrow I'll post some pictures of the TT2 and then maybe start using it!!!

As always stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Does the baseboard affect SQ
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast