+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knosti record cleaner - forget it!

I'm Rob.

Default Knosti record cleaner - forget it!

I think I may have cracked the technique to get the best out of a Knosti record cleaner. The thing to do is forget it. .... well that's how I worked it out. I cleaned a batch of records and forgot them, leaving them in the stand over night. The result was a much better clean.

I think leaving them for a couple of hours may allow the fluid to fully drain off the record, taking the grim with it.

I don't think you have to leave the records drying in the rack over night to get this effect, but a couple of hours seems to give much better results than the 7 minutes prescribed in the instructions.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Reggie

So your records sounded noticeably better after cleaning this way ? how would you describe it .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Hugo.

Unless you're going to rinse very well with distilled water after using a Knosti cleaner, my recommendation is to avoid it and save up for a decent vacuum cleaning machine (I have the Clearaudio Smart Matrix which is mechanically identical to the cheaper Okki Nokki). The Knosti will leave loads of dried crud in the grooves, as I found out. Russ Andrews used to sell the Knosti with a spare bath for rinsing, for good reason.

I'm colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Unless you're going to rinse very well with distilled water after using a Knosti cleaner, my recommendation is to avoid it and save up for a decent vacuum cleaning machine (I have the Clearaudio Smart Matrix which is mechanically identical to the cheaper Okki Nokki). The Knosti will leave loads of dried crud in the grooves, as I found out. Russ Andrews used to sell the Knosti with a spare bath for rinsing, for good reason.
    I strongly agree. Used to have one and always gave them a second rinse.
    Still do with my Okki Nokki. Sound much better.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Hi Reggie

So your records sounded noticeably better after cleaning this way ? how would you describe it .
    I'm cleaning dirty records I've been given recently rather than trying to improve the sound of already clean records. Cleaning them in the way I describe makes them sound like clean records with no obvious hiss, crackle and pops. They sound like the records that I've looked after most carefully. However, the treatment doesn't correct noise from scratches.

I agree with the Shuggie and Colin that the Knosti leaves a residue if you use it the way the manual describes. Therefore, I've tended to use it only when I've got particularly dirty records, where clean with a little residue is better than what I started with.

However, that's my point - I'm finding the residue issue is greatly reduced if I leave the records to drain in the upright position for a few hours.
    Rob.