+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IPL Acoustics S5TL

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default IPL Acoustics S5TL

Ever since I moved I've never gotten the Bastanis to sound as good as they did in the old place- frustrating as they did sound great. This led to some online searching for something I liked the look of, and I came across these on Facebook Marketplace at a decent price, so I thought they were worth a punt.

A pair of IPL's top speaker kit. Cabinets are well made but looked pretty rough (they look better in the photos than in reality)-

These are a large transmission line design using good quality Hi Vi drivers- 10" paper/kevlar woofer, 4" aluminium/magnesium mid and a ribbon tweeter. 91db efficient too, so will work with a wide range of amps. I'm currently using them with an SM70 Pro and this is a great sounding combo, in fact the best sound I've had at home so far (better than with the Krell..). These seem to have it all- they image like a good static, and when it's there they pack a massive punch in the bass, but don't sound one note-ish or have much in the way of boxy colouration.

Only downside was the way they looked, so I had a word with Colin Topps. Colin has retired from speaker building, but will still do occasional jobs for friends if they ask nicely, and I was pleased he was willing to take these on for a re-veneer and also some new crossovers in separate boxes which I'm hoping will make them sound even better- the standard components are pretty basic fare.

I think Colin has wrought a minor miracle, he just sent me some photos of the first veneer job-

Looking forward to getting these back.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Looking good Ali. Interesting speakers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers Geoff, didn't really expect them to be as good as they are.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

I'd put some fine mesh or gauze over the ports to avoid getting loads of spiders making their homes inside .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Monster bass on the smaller ones so those must be able to bring the world to an end. Looks first class with the new veneer.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd put some fine mesh or gauze over the ports to avoid getting loads of spiders making their homes inside .
    Yeah I had the same thought. :-)

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Monster bass on the smaller ones so those must be able to bring the world to an end. Looks first class with the new veneer.
    Aye the bass is err authoritative lol.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Half a lifetime ago I heard the ESS AMT-1 Tower speakers at an exhibition. They also used a ten inch driver in a 1/4 wave T/L box about the same size, they were truly devastating through the bass! Sounded damn fine anyway with the Heil driver at the top.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    As you may already know, or not. I have had and built these speakers (as supplied) and I can confirm, they are indeed superb, as supplied. ( I wish I hadn’t sold them) a speaker I wish I still owned.

As usual, a top class job, and the benefit of external crossovers.

All I can say is ENJOY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Half a lifetime ago I heard the ESS AMT-1 Tower speakers at an exhibition. They also used a ten inch driver in a 1/4 wave T/L box about the same size, they were truly devastating through the bass! Sounded damn fine anyway with the Heil driver at the top.
    Would like to hear those, never heard the ESS tweeter. A friend on another forum swears by his pair.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast