+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Losing Signal With Airport Express

I'm Lee.

Default Losing Signal With Airport Express

My AE is in the corner of my room and approximately 15ft away from my mac.

Here's a pic:

I sometimes lose signal, not enough to give up with it, but enough for it to bother me.

Considering it's placement, should I really be losing signal?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I may be wrong, but of more importance is where your router is Lee - I believe the AE will connect to the router, not the mac directly? (Only guessing as I have no mac knowledge, but that's how it works with my SoundBridge which is basically doing the same job on a PC network.)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Default The AE is point to point

Unfoturnately the AE's wireless capabilities are not its best quality. You can try changing its orientation to see if signal reliability improves.

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I may be wrong, but of more importance is where your router is Lee - I believe the AE will connect to the router, not the mac directly? (Only guessing as I have no mac knowledge, but that's how it works with my SoundBridge which is basically doing the same job on a PC network.)
    I actually thought I was connected to the mac's wifi device. Maybe I'm not. I'll check that (not sure how).

Quote Originally Posted by Codifus View Post
    Unfoturnately the AE's wireless capabilities are not its best quality. You can try changing its orientation to see if signal reliability improves.
    CD
    It's a wireless device, surely that's the least it should do. To be fair, I don't lose signal while it's connected, it sometimes doesn't reconnect after the mac has gone to sleep and been woken.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I actually thought I was connected to the mac's wifi device. Maybe I'm not. I'll check that (not sure how).
    Point to Point means that your Mac's WIFI signals are going directly to the AE's Wifi.

It's a wireless device, surely that's the least it should do. To be fair, I don't lose signal while it's connected, it sometimes doesn't reconnect after the mac has gone to sleep and been woken.
    The reason the Airports wifi access is so iffy is because Apple engineers had to somehow shove a broadcasting antenna into the space the size of a toothpick. There had to be a compromise. The AE is still an amazing device, though.

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm Steve.

I've been suffering from the same issues.
    My AE connects to the router, not the mac.

Been doing some digging, and the conclusion I have reached for my issues (even my ipod touch is getting worse connection strengths), is to connect the router up to a switching device for the Ethernet connections, and connecting a WAP (Wireless Access Point) up to the router. Netgear WAP54 or WAP200 seem to be suited for getting better signal coverage and strengths.

Or am I wrong?

I'm Steve.

OK...Go to Finder--->Applications--->Utilities --->Airport Utility.

If you open this and run it, it should find your AE.

You can then alter the settings actually on the AE through this menu. You might find a better combination of settings by doing this.

I've done this, re-naming the AE, getting rid of the printer facility etc...or you can re-set to factory settings in case its been fiddled with (matron) and needs putting back.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Indeed. Wireless networks work in 'loops' all of which go back to the wireless router, so it's the distance (and any obstructions) between the AE and the router that is the issue.

Only way to change this is to use a wireless extender which extends the wireless coverage by acting as a 'repeater' for the router's signal.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Jim.

You could always try a different channel.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

+ Reply to Thread