+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lampizator P17 open baffle speakers

I'm Lee.

Default Lampizator P17 open baffle speakers

This is the second listing in recent weeks for equipment that belonged to the late James Coltart, otherwise known as Sovereign. He sadly passed away in 2017 leaving his widow with a listening room full of experimental, custom and DIY HiFi equipment. ( https://theartofsound.net/forum/memb...7321-Sovereign)

To raise money for the family and to honour James' memory I spent 2018 and 2019 repairing, testing and selling the majority his collection to forum members and via eBay. COVID then hit and I had to shelve the project until now (I'm a dual-trained engineer and medical doctor and the latter took priority for obvious reasons). The custom Colin Wonfor TOCA/SECA amplifier is on its way to a new owner, and this pair of speakers are the last items to be sold, so I've created this new post for just the speakers.

These speakers are based on the Lampizator "Endorphin" P-17 speaker project (http://lampizator.eu/speakers/projec...20Kitchen.html). They follow the design quite closely including the recommended optional crossover arrangements.

They came to me with the crossovers wired point to point, which I have reworked into a more robust tagboard format. There's plenty for the DIY speaker enthusiast to add to this project: the woodwork could be stained, oiled, or treated to match existing furniture or equipment; the wiring from tagboard to drivers is simple figure-8 cable, the new owner could experiment with different wire materials; various drivers could be swapped in, and alternative midrange drivers will be supplied as pictured.

Some of the rubber washers are missing from the speaker mountings. There was a tear in the paper cone on one HF driver, which I have repaird, and there is also slight damage to the surround of one bass driver as pictured, otherwise all the drivers look fine.

The drivers as mounted are:

• Saba Greencone midranges
    • Saba Greencone tweeters
    • ARO 9408 Bass drivers made by Tesla in Czechoslovakia around the mid to late 50s.

A review of similar speakers by senior forum member Bumpy (https://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?15397-bumpy):

"So there is a full compliment of vintage drivers with the common traits of paper cones, alnico magnets and high sensitivity. This will make for a well voiced, coherent sonic output over the entire frequency range. There in no problem with foam support rot which bedevils later old drivers, as in the 50's the drivers were made to last almost forever.

The sound will be 'relaxed' detailed and beautiful, particularly when married up to valves.

These speakers are very much a DIY project and from a wonderful start, can be considered a work in progress, with the ability to improve on every element. All parts are available still, and if you are like me, much of the fun is in being able to understand and improve them if you wish whilst being captivated at every point.

They work fantastically well with most genres of music except heavy rock head bashing. In particular Jazz, Irish, Country, 60s pop, Club Dance, Reggae and Dub music - this for me incudes Dire Straits, Leonard Cohen, the Shadows and Bob Marley.

Heavy Rock is compromised in OBs due to an indigenous lack of very low frequencies, but what there is in the bass is real and full of impact.

In summary a wonderful pair of speakers."

I'm looking for offers circa £750 for the pair.

Dropbox link with more photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lnkhcjfqk...rdgdNf66a?dl=0

I'm Colin.

I do hope the new SECA owner loves the amp.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    I do hope the new SECA owner loves the amp.
    Col,
    I am collecting it on the 28th, when Lee and I meet up at Bristol Airport. I'm looking forward to it.
    Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Col,
    I am collecting it on the 28th, when Lee and I meet up at Bristol Airport. I'm looking forward to it.
    Charlie
    Contact me if want circuit diagrams please.

I'm Lee.

Thank you so much to Colin and everyone who has helped with the sale of James' stuff. I handed over the speakers last week and they're now being enjoyed by a new owner. It's the end of an era for me as it's felt like a mammoth effort to get this kit in usable shape and to return some of the value to Molly. I've kept James' bench power supply which I use quite regularly and a few of his hand tools. I had a chance to catch up with Molly last week, the money from the amp has gone straight to their daughter Chloe, and the money from the speakers has gone to Molly. She's doing well and is taking at a counselling course with plans to set up as an independent therapist. I think she will be ideal!

I'm Steve.

A wonderful read and great outcome. Well done on all your efforts for the family!

I'm Alan.

+1
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread