+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Meridian 808.2

Default Meridian 808.2

I wondered if anyone has had an opportunity to listen to this new player from Meridian, unfortunately they didn't have one in Munich
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm Keith.

Hans I used to own the original 808 I haven't heard the new one yet, ( I know all cdps are mean't to sound the same but) I thought the Lavry 924 and a cheap Tascam transport was much better, far greater resolution , I also thought the MSB Platinum was good and the Stahl-Tek is I believe the best DAC I have heard to date. Keith.

Meridian are making great claims, though, for timbral accuracy due to some powerful new filter software. I assume the Stahl-Tek excels in the analogue section.
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm Keith.

Hans Hi ,well Meridian would say that wouldn't they! There is an interesting debate on another well known Forum whether cdp's sound different , I believe they do, and I believe that some designs are just better, more considered than others, there is a Lambchop song I like with some spoken word in the background I have never been able to discern the speech before, with the Stahl for the first time I can, is it because the noise floor on the Stahl is lower or that the dynamic range is greater , ( the Vekian dac does have a good spec ) I can't say but it is better, decay on high hats is much more sustained for example, piano has real weight , I think you just have to listen t a group of dacs/cdps and make up your own mind, regards Keith.

I always thought of the 808 series as a computer based audio player.

I'm Keith.

It uses a ROM drive, and buffer memory, but it just an ordinary cdp.

Yes as I said a CD player based on computer hardware, IE using a cheap CD rom drive to tranfer the data in packets IE not just a single data stream read once.

It isnt like a normal read once CD drive system as it can read the disc multiple times and it sends this information to the memory as does a computer rom when reading data.

This is slightly different to the aproach of using buffered memory in external clocks where buffering only serves to re-clock the signal and or reduce jitter.

At least Meridian are using the CDrom drive as it was designed to be though, and not modding it to read at 1x for red book CD replay within a normal CD player design.

Even from behind it is similar to a computer, as in one can upgrade an add to the player via slot in cards that screw to the back panel. And I believe its software can be upgraded too.

So I feel it may be classed as a normal CD player, but its roots do seem born from computer method, not that its a bad thing.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Keith,

There is an interesting debate on another well known Forum whether cdp's sound different...
    Indeed - I've read it. Like I've said before, it's all about your frame of reference: if you've never heard a really good CD player before you're unable to differentiate between what's good and bad, particularly when 95% of CDPs these days are much of a much-ness.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Btw Marco, is this familiar in the UK :

www.swobodaaudio.de

I believe they are officially supported by Sony
    Hans

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I haven't seen them, Hans, but it looks interesting. I'll have a scan around the site. My German isn't that good, but my wife's is

In my opinion, for straight Red Book CD playback, the way to go is to buy a good quality 'classic' CDP (one which key parts are still available for), such as I have mentioned before, and have it modified by the likes of the company you mention or respected outfits such as Audiocom International, or if you're handy with a soldering iron, D.I.Y. You are then embracing old and new technology to maximum effect.

One simply removes the outdated bits and replaces them with up-to-date components (items such as resistors, caps, op-amps, etc) keeping the good bits such as the transport mechanism, NOS DAC chips (if worthwhile), etc. This method is cheaper than buying a brand new 'hi-end' CDP and 9 times out of 10 will be better, certainly at anything like an affordable price.

DVD ROMs are in my experience crap for Red Book CD playback so the Meridian mentioned in this thread is not something that would interest me.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread