+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greets from Veet

Default Greets from Veet

Hi,
    I'm not used to this public speaking business so forgive me if I wander off the subject. Feel free to throw bread rolls... as long as they are fresh - those stale ones hurt.
    I'm Immac. My real name is Veet, but I'm a retro kinda guy. OK, my real real name is Ian, but I tend to tear my hair out a lot over things like hi-fi.
    What can I tell you about myself? My interest in high fidelity comes and goes really, depending on how much money I have and whether I am sick of hearing what I consider to be an inferior sound. When I am playing jazz (Blue Note particularly) I like as clean a sound as possible. But more often than not, I'm playing reggae and even the CDs are mastered by copying vinyl with pits and scratches in it, so there seems little point in seeking perfection. I own a Quad II/22 but I rarely use them as they're quite noisy. I also own an Armstrong amp with a solid state front end and a valve power amp, which gives me the most 'authentic' sound I've ever heard for old ska and reggae, but I don't use that either as it badly needs an overhaul and I've not had the wherewithal to go ahead with it. It's a 'do it someday' project.
    That someday has arrived for my Garrard 301, which has sat in a box for a decade. I'll need a tonearm for it, possibly an SME 3009, and a plinth, but before I sort those out I need to get the deck in full working order, which is isn't, quite. Above all else, I am a vinyl man.
    I have two kids that come in the large size, a wife that doesn't, and I live in a London 'burb. I DJ sometimes, using the standard Technics decks. I'm an obsessive vinyl collector. If anyone has any 12" singles on the Forward label out of Jamaica they want to shift, I'm your man.
    is that me? Roughly speaking, that's all there is to me. Blimey, I'm even duller than I thought...
    Ian.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AOS Ian

Enjoy the forum and have fun.

What kind of music do you like other than Jazz and Reggae?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If you want a CHEAP old family friendly turntable that works really well while the 301 is being sorted, then look no further than a vintage Dual idler drive model from the 12** series (1216, 1218, 1219, 1229 - they'll all do ) or a nice 1019. The arms on all of them are good and if the drive is clean and the pivots and bearings carefully lubed, they'll see us all out, the only major thing being the "steurer pimpel" (scuse spelling) on the 12**'s, which enables the mech to move the arm about on "auto" which is easily re-fabricated.

Don't be put off because the above are auto decks, as the mechs are incredibly gentle as long as you don't stack your records and even if you do, an LP descends on a cushion of air and "lands" very gently.

You're probably not in the tiniest bit interested but I thought I'd post this up anyway, as 1216's for example go for next to nothing unless I'm mistaken and can still track all but the most critical of cartridges, which would be well out of the Dual's league anyway...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    If you want a CHEAP old family friendly turntable that works really well while the 301 is being sorted, then look no further than a vintage Dual idler drive model from the 12** series (1216, 1218, 1219, 1229 - they'll all do ) or a nice 1019.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I used to have a 1229 in my teens, no idea what happened to it. I'm using my DJ decks at the moment so there is no rush. But 1210s are not exactly top end in some respects, although perfect tools for DJing. I am going through a reggae phase so a lawnmower might be an adequate deck, so poor are the pressings... and as 'previously enjoyed' items, the pressing isn't the only problem these records have!

Ian
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Welcome to AOS Ian

Enjoy the forum and have fun.

What kind of music do you like other than Jazz and Reggae?

Regards D S D L
    Are you acknowleging that these are actually forms of music? Truly the daleks are superior to most humans!

If this was a serious question, I like soul, funk, and a little 60s pop of a moddy nature; 80s hip-hop is another favourite. Plus modern mash-ups, especially the ridiculous kind where unlikely songs are forced to cohabit; Queen's "We Will Rock You" sung over Althea & Donna's "Uptown Top Ranking" is a particularly excruciating favourite. It shouldn't be allowed - and indeed, the laws of copyright say it isn't.

Best to all,
    Ian.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

As you may be reading at this moment, Techie 1210's *can be* anything BUT DJ decks..

You've come to the right place
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread