+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DC Blocking / Mains Filtering and all that "stuff" . . .

I'm Gary.

How's Toppsy getting on with the amp Chris?
    Still doing the business fir him?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

He's getting along fine with it, Gaz
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Josie.

The Mark grant/Tube Distinctions DC blocker is really great. You can find more info on Mark Grants website.

Designed by Anthony and assembled by Mark. It's a fab thing.

Marco uses one in his system.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Phil.

josie . i like them too and use one to good effect
    i think its a mains filter though , not a dc blocker . someone correct me if i am wrong

https://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/uk...-power-filter/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    josie . i like them too and use one to good effect
    i think its a mains filter though , not a dc blocker . someone correct me if i am wrong

https://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/uk...-power-filter/
    You are correct - it’s not a dc blocker but very useful nevertheless.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Josie.

Ah. Yes... Sorry.

Well, as you both say, it's an excellent bit of kit.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Martin.

Great thread lots of useful info.

Whilst your neighbours may cause some electrical noise that can impact your house and system, most houses have stuff far closer to home. Cheap smps that power our phone , ipad chargers and other cheap consumer electricals can all harm. Dimmable LEDs and variable DC pumps are naughty too. I have many such devices in my home and many on the same ring as my system.

3 years ago we had a very modest system based on a cambridge audio amp, a yamaha CD player and some well regarded mordant short bookshelves. I wanted to get something with better sound quality and bought KEF LS 50 active system, took it home plugged it in and was massively disappointed, sure it was giving me some additional bass but still the music was just as flat, i had a 30 day home trial so back it went.

I then upped my budget considerably thinking I just need to reach further to get good sound, so bought an open box set of proac tablette 10 Se and a Lyngdorf TDAI3400. This did give me a noticeable jump in performance , especially when I the sub.

Since then I’ve put loads of effort into getting clean power and controlling vibrations in the system and now my systems on a totally different level for SQ.

I use a DIY DC blocker power cable that mimics the syncro power cable mentioned above, this feeds an isotek sigmas gen 2.

There are 3 toroidal transformers in my system all small and I had no hum that I could hear but the DC blocker definitely improved the musicality of the system.

If you want to control chassis vibrations there is an excellent product you can get from Japan via ebay called fo.q damping tape.

Ta102 and Ta32 are 1mm thick and 0.3mm thick respectively , they convert vibration to infra red heat and also have antistatic property , I’m convinced its very similar in make up to the NCF technology that furutech use in their plugs and sockets. The thin stuff goes around cables very easily. The thicker stuff very good on chassis especially around power sockets and inlets.

I think you can get issues with power conditioning if you use cheaper filters but if done correctly it can be transformational in a noisy home. The Puritan filters get great reviews and I would be looking to trial one of those if I wasn’t sorted, I think they punch above their price point from reading reviews. They have built in DC offset filtering in their power conditioners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Ian.

Best improvement i got came from adding extra earth bonding strips across the water pipes and cleaning tightening the eathing lead near the meter
    . Very obvious drop in background noise and it was easy low cost to do. Never heard much if a difference with filters other than a belkin pf60, i think, that cut the power on an almost daily basis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123