+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lentek Head Amp - Naked!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Default Lentek Head Amp - Naked!

As part of a prep to create a 9V external supply for this head amp, I thought I'd take a deeper look and see if the circuit could be exposed.

Success.....

The little pot is just a cover and was glued to the sides of the inner tray. The board was also attached via a sticky pad to the base of the tray and the adhesive had worn out -

Here's a closer look at the board -

For copyright (?) reasons, any printing has been removed from the transistors, but hopefully the pics can tell someone the values of the very close tolerance (for the period) transistors used.

As for the caps, the outer tantalums are 6.3V 47 (uF?), the inner ones are 16V 10 (uF?), the two purple topped flat caps are n22's and the three little flat red ones have black and orange dots on (black at top, orange bottom right).

Am I right in thinking that the tants might be the cause od the slight "solid state brightness" this unit exhibits (and has always done from memory?). I don't know enough to know..

I've fitted a PP3 socket to the existing plug, which I've repaired, and taken the leads out through one of the screw holes (screw wrapped and placed in battery tray for posterity). This should make things possible to put back to original easily.

By the way, I've measured the voltage of the extra long life Alkaline PP3 I fitted and on my digital volt-meter it measures 9.14V. This makes me think that the regulator output shouldn't be set to more than 9.5V I think, unless anyone recommends differently

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Mmmm, a few things there could be moddified

First up set your regulator to 9 or 10V, it won't be a problem...

If i was you & i owned this head amp i'd change all the resistors for decent ones. The n22 capacitors i'd change to 220pf (which is what they are) polystyrene caps. Pity i can't see the circuit drawn out so we could establish exactly what the tantalum caps are doing precisely

The transistors look like TO5 jobbies, i'm guessing that they'll likely be medium power & rated at about 1Amp. These kind as well as TO126 trannies are often used in MC pre amps simply because they have a lower noise floor.

Perhaps if you could get a decent shot of the PCB track side square on i might be able to draw the circuit out & then you can modify to your hearts content
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've put it all back together now and couldn't tilt the board any more without removing some wires

I thought the resistors were 1% ones, both metal film and a few carbon ones. I can certainly open it again sometime and try to get better shots (I don't have an enthusiasts camera I'm afraid). Poly caps are fine to change to, but what are the ones with dots on in value?

Am I being picky regarding the tants, or are they really good (I have "memories" of Naim gear stacked to the gunwhales with 10uF tantalums )

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

There are much better caps out there that'd fit in place of the tantalums. Sanyo Os-cons spring to mind & they'd be a similar size with those voltages & capacitances you quoted

E2A:- Those 1% resistors you are refering to happen to be 20% tolerance (red band at the end) & they are most likely carbon Sorry i have no idea of the value of the dotted caps...
    Last edited by Reid Malenfant; 11-08-2010 at 18:14. Reason: added value
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm David.

Red band at the end is +/- 1% - i.e. 2% I thought - I checked on some charts again to make sure...

I'm not going to go totally mad here, but caps will definitely be looked at at some point. Thanks for advice regarding supply voltage too.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

Most interesting, and well done for opening up the old girl! I sense some future 'tweakage' shenanigans

I'll be following this thread with interest......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Btw, here's an interesting thead about the Lentek on Lenco Heaven:

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=2317.0

And one here: http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk...ep-up-for-sale.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Welcome back Marco. It wasn't the same without you, it was like being in class with the Teacher out...

Hi Dave,

Gosh, it's nice to be missed

And yes, it's good to be back!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Been anywhere nice?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast