+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap External hard Drives

I'm drunk.

Default Cheap External hard Drives

I dont know if anyone is interested, but Ebuyer are doing Hitachi 1TB external drives for £49.99, with free delivery.

I'm John.

Hitatchi make very reliable hard drives in my experience; I have had two in my PC which are now more than two years old and have worked faultlessly.
    I also have to two 500GB drives connected to my laptop for storing my reference and play files.
    I would suggest if anyone plans to use these drives for audio they consider using a galvanic isolator on the USB lead from drive to Dac if their Dac does not have any form of noise suppression or isolation because they are quite noisy.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Nick.

I got one of these the other day. A WD 2TB drive. It's yet to arrive but looks like it's a sensible piece of kit. Not over-designed.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204506

I'm consolidating 8 250Gb drives into 1 2TB drive to reduce the number of sockets required... the old 250Gb devices will be kept as a static backup.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

A colleague bought a Hitachi hard drive from Tesco's recently for around the £50 mark. Same 1TB size but in a different case. He uses it for backing up files and has had no problems with it so far but he did say the fan is quite noisey if your thinking of using one in a music set up. Also his has no seperate power switch so if his computer is on then so is the hard drive and fan. Might be worth checking if this new model is the same.
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I got one of these the other day. A WD 2TB drive. It's yet to arrive but looks like it's a sensible piece of kit. Not over-designed.

I'm consolidating 8 250Gb drives into 1 2TB drive to reduce the number of sockets required... the old 250Gb devices will be kept as a static backup.
    How are you getting on with the WD Nick? Is it as silent as suggested? I'm looking for a 1TB version for pure audio file storage, to replace a 250GB Toshiba which is now nearly full - the WD one looks to be a good option, but any other suggestions from anyone gratefully received.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post

That is the one I am using. 2TB for £99 from play.com. almost totally silent and runs cool too. Recommended
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

That's great - thanks for the endorsement Steve. Just deciding whether to go for a bigger one actually, to save having to go through this again in a couple of years!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Aren’t there reliabilty problems with the larger capacity remote hard drives?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Doesn't seem to be too much of an issue reading through the Amazon reviews, John, but be interested to hear from anyone who has had problems.
    Alex

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Aren’t there reliabilty problems with the larger capacity remote hard drives?
    Not heard much about that, but I do have another 2Tb on which is a back-up, just in case! (this one is currently in the PC but will be removed and put into storage)
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast