+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Computer Based Audio

Quote Originally Posted by pabbab View Post

Flacs on self-powered Hard Drive -> Squeezebox Touch -> Caiman -> Hlly t-90 -> B&W 602s2. (Mark Grant interconnects and wire)

Sonic bliss, maybe not, but for around 1000 euros, not too bad I hope.
    Throw in a subwoofer to get those low beats the 602 can't manage, and you'll be a happy bunny until the neighbours come knocking at your door..

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by pabbab View Post
    Thanks for your input. However, what I find attractive in the SB is the idea of running it straight off a hard drive. Unfortunately, it seems to run much less effectively without the processing power of a computer from what I've read poking around the net. If the SB can't handle my library of Apple Lossless files and hi-res flacs coming straight from a HD, that's pretty much a deal-breaker for me for the time being.

Can anyone attest that such a setup does work? Maybe using a multimedia HD?
    Two things matter here:

1. You need a USB hard drive that comes with its own power supply

2. There are issues related to the size of your library on the self-powered USB. Touch seems to work better with smaller (sub 100 Gigabytes) libraries
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have about 300gig on the Drobo at the moment and it works fine.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I have about 300gig on the Drobo at the moment and it works fine.
    Thanks for the clarification, AnAlcohlic. What is Drobo (and for that matter, what is AnAlcoholic)?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

This is a Drobo-
    http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php

Quite pricey for what it is,but you can pick them up secondhand.The good thing with these is that they automatically back up the data between the four drives without you having to do anything.You can also mix and match drives and hot swap them.

AnAlcoholic is what you get for drinking too much!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    This is a Drobo-
    http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php

Quite pricey for what it is,but you can pick them up secondhand.The good thing with these is that they automatically back up the data between the four drives without you having to do anything.You can also mix and match drives and hot swap them.

AnAlcoholic is what you get for drinking too much!
    Thanks! Drinking too much alcohol, or the other stuff?

Alex.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Thanks! Drinking too much alcohol, or the other stuff?
    There is no "other stuff" in my book. It is in my genes. My grandfather, who was of Irish descent, when offered water with his whiskey would respond "I'm thirsty, not dirty!"
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    There is no "other stuff" in my book. It is in my genes. My grandfather, who was of Irish descent, when offered water with his whiskey would respond "I'm thirsty, not dirty!"
    But alcohol is an excellent solvent that will help you get rid of any dirt on (or in) your body.

Alex.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    But alcohol is an excellent solvent that will help you get rid of any dirt on (or in) your body.
    Just don't get it near your nuts
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456