+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noise, of some kind

I'm Nick.

Default Noise, of some kind

For about 2 years I have had the following set up for headphones:

SEG > Capella > Sennheiser HD700

The capella is powered by a 12v car battery and the capella in turn powers the SEG. For the entire time I have had the set up the battery has allowed me to reduce the noise floor to 0.

However, recently I turned the set up on and noticed a hum typically found with electrical noise in a system.

Following the process of elimination I have:
    1. Tested the SEG on its own (not connected to the Capella), powered by the battery, with the 700s plugged directly into them. No noise.
    2. Tested the same as above however with the SEG being powered by the Capella but with the Capella just not being turned on. No noise.
    3. The set up as normal, capella on, powering the SEG (also on) and the 700s connected to the Capella...NOISE...

So obviously the capella is the component that is generating the noise as it is the clear the SEG and the battery are not the problem.

Is there any way to (for want of a better word) 'flush' the Capella of the electrical/static noise? If not, what part of the capella could now be causing this noise? (I'm not familiar with the internals).

Side note: The capella and the SEG are connected by custom built interconnects and even though I have tried the system with different interconnects and the noise remains, this does not rule out that the interconnects could be the problem however I'm not sure how, and therefore have ruled them out as I'm not aware that they can become 'infected' by noise (please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Nick.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I know hat the problem is. Get in touch with me via PM or email.

+ Reply to Thread