+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best way to use record cleaner please.

I'm colin.

Default Best way to use record cleaner please.

Ive been using a Okki Nokki for a while and have been very happy with the results but i noticed something that alarmed me a bit.
    After cleaning a brand new reissue Lp i put it on a rack to make sure it was completely dry. Sometimes there is a bit of residue of the final rinse so i have to do this sometimes.
    When i picked it up to play it i noticed a dusty smudge .
    So i gave it a quick wipe with a Roksan brush i have. Its a good brush but it produces a lot of static so i dont use it if i can help it. After a few rotations on the platter i was a bit shocked to see a pile of microscopic dust come out of the grooves.
    Im wondering now if im cleaning properly. I use a velvet block and Mint cleaning fluid. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I'm ChrisB.

Colin,
    Sorry, I'm not sure exactly how the Okki Nokki operates, so I'm not sure I can be a great help without a little more info.
    However, if the part which carrying out the suction is dirty, you may get some residue left behind on the record at the point where the contact between it & the disc is broken at the end of the cleaning cycle. On my Moth this would manifest itself as a line of dirt on a radius. I sometimes get something like this on a record that's slightly warped because the high spot may by chance be in contact with the vacuum tube when the rotation stops. On a flat record, when the suction stops, the disc releases itself from the pipe and pops back to its flat shape. The contact points on the suction pipe are felt pads. Nowadays, I clean these regularly by gently brushing them with the pump switched on to suck up whatever is brushed loose.

Don't know if that helps or not!

I'm colin.

That sounds very familiar Chris, ill give that a try. I suspect the velvet pads could do with a change to as its an ex demo unit.
    I have noticed the inner grooves ,the silent ones, are sounding very crackly after cleaning as if some residue is left.

I'm Hugo.

I use a Clearaudio Smart Matrix cleaning machine, which is the same as the Okki Nokki, apart from a smarter case and a lid (when I bought mine the price gap was not as big as it is now). Using Art du Son cleaning solution, I don't get any residue problems at all. I have changed the pads on the suction arm a couple of times - it's obvious when they need changing as the suction arm doesn't completely dry the record after a couple of revolutions.

I'm Ralph.

Sounds like the pads are past it, new ones are available from Stamford Audio for £8 a pack (for some reason you get 3 pads per pack).

Proceed with caution till you get some new ones, I ruined about half a dozen lps without realising anything was wrong by cleaning them with worn out pads, you live and learn as they say.

Cheers.

I'm colin.

Oh dear, this is all to familiar. Thanks for the info, i need to do some shopping i think

+ Reply to Thread