+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Dalek joins the Techie Club.....

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    ...and there in lies the mystery of this little project

Regards D S D L
    I wonder if we will get a report on the comparison?
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I wonder if we will get a report on the comparison?
    To be honest Barry at this stage I am not sure but I would say its more than likely.

This is really about hearing about a great party that some one holds and you either can't go, or miss it, or don't get an invite. Well I have my invite, I can go but will it be a great party ? Time will tell.

I must say that I like the look and build quality of the Technics 1200. This is the first time I have had a close look at one or even handled one. Love the pop up cueing light and the strobe. The arm height adjuster device is clever and it appears to be a clever well thought out design and I can now see why a number of people think its a good foundation to build a high end turntable on/with.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Neil

May i suggest ' have a good listen to it as stock , get to know its weakness and strengths.

Then start with feet and mat ' then either your V or a good psu , your choice then finally the Timestep bearing ' not the the HR or MN unless you want to go for the upgraded platter as there is no point in my view ! .

With say the Isonoes a good mat like the Herbies and perhaps the copper mat too !, a PH or Timesep psu , Timestep bearing and your SMEV and whatever cart you fancy .

I will be surprised if your dissapointed as i think its right up there with some of the best! certainly at the money spent .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Hi Neil

May i suggest ' have a good listen to it as stock , get to know its weakness and strengths.

Then start with feet and mat ' then either your V or a good psu , your choice then finally the Timestep bearing ' not the the HR or MN unless you want to go for the upgraded platter as there is no point in my view ! .

With say the Isonoes a good mat like the Herbies and perhaps the copper mat too !, a PH or Timesep psu , Timestep bearing and your SMEV and whatever cart you fancy .

I will be surprised if your dissapointed as i think its right up there with some of the best! certainly at the money spent .
    Thanks for that advice...

Even if the better bearings are overkill with the standard platter would there not be any benefits ? in replacing the Technics bearing with them. Are the new bearings just about supporting a very heavy platter.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

No ' all i am saying is Dave's £175 Timestep bearing is all you may need if you don't intend getting the heavy platter , but on the other hand , if money is not an issue then get Dave's forthcoming HR bearing or Mike's bearing then you also have the option of taking it further .

There will be differences of course but its with the heavy platter where the more expensive bearings come into ther own ! if i wanted to take it further its going to cost me £800 to £1000 give or take to upgrade the bearing and platter
    ! that's more than i have spent on the whole deck so far ! less arm .

But hey its just my opinion ' go for the Mike new if you wish or wait for Dave's mega bearing , i am sure its going to be superb.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Neil.

Just had a casual listen with the Ortofon SPro MM, with its 4 g tracking Never had a cart that tracked so heavy before. Anyway not bad at all typical Ortofon concord cart sound but a tad better than an OM10.

I had to do a makeshift stand for the Techie to sit on, so it was hardly ideal (a computer chair and a Quadrapod board-anyone remember those ?) I will do a proper listen when I am not so knackerd (I can't face lifting my SME Model 20 down from the wall shelf tonight)and I may try a VDH MC cart in the Techie headshell just to see what that is like.

However what I did hear was very interesting indeed

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm drunk.

The Ortofon is one of the cartridges designed for "club use" and the 4g tracking weight is to stop it bouncing all over the place.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The BBC chose the OM-Pro because of its superior record wear characteristics over the Shure SC35C's they'd been using before. The Concord body will happilly take any of the OM styli I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

I could maybe bring mine when I come over Neil if you wanna get a look under the hood and see/hear some of my mods in place etc? I have a flight case
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I could maybe bring mine when I come over Neil if you wanna get a look under the hood and see/hear some of my mods in place etc? I have a flight case
    Hi Hamish

That would be very interesting and useful if it does not cause you any problems to do so.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast