+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New Mark Grant Interconnects (G1500HD and G2000HD)

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    They'll be used between the Bob's Devices SUT and the phono amp.
    I'm impressed with the MGs used in that position. I'm now waiting for balanced MGs to appear so that I can use them in the phono pre to preamp position.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I'm impressed with the MGs used in that position. I'm now waiting for balanced MGs to appear so that I can use them in the phono pre to preamp position.
    And they do seem to be much better than the 'cooking' Mark Grant interconnects. I shall be keeping them and sending the G1000HDs back for a refund. They will be used in the mains and cables room at the London Bake-Off show if anyone is interested.

I'm Clive.

My G2000HD have been run for a while now so I've just compared them to the G1000HD. This comparison involves the cable between my Nighthawk phono stage and Tram DHT preamp.

First of all I should mention that the G2000HD have the latest WBT 0102 Cu phonos, this seems to be a good move as they are better made than the 0110's.

These phonos allow me to see the quality of the soldering inside the plugs. All 8 connections (4 plugs) are very well executed indeed.

Now for the sound.

- Details are more apparent. I don't mean more obvious, I suppose more discernible is another way to put it.

- There is more time and space around notes, there seems to be a clearer background (some might say "darker").

- There is a greater precision, which is not in the least bit clinical.

- There are consequential soundstage improvements as a result of all this.

To put this into perspective, the improvements are easy to hear. They aren't as great as the improvements due to my £430 Audio Note Silver capacitors but they are very worthwhile and I'll be keeping the G2000HD and returning the still excellent G1000HD.
    Last edited by Clive; 28-09-2010 at 10:33.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Peter.

Clive beat me to it, I just got set of G2000HD (WBT cu 0102 version), and I hear it like he does, more clarity, more precision.

In another thread I meantioned that my SB3/TeddySB3PS/Paradox 8i Dac/G2000HD sounded less engaging than my Audiocom modified CDX with standard XPS with DIN G1000HD. I'd say that the G2000HD pretty much wipes out that caveat.

So the replaced G1000HDs from the streaming rig will be back to Mark shortly!
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Dave.

My summarised comments on the G1500HD – Best interconnects I’d heard (when I ‘listened to them’).

My summarised comments on the G2000HD – Even better than the G1500HD’s

I would suggest that everybody’s system is different to everyone else’s. Even if you have identical equipment and leads, the quality of your mains power, the room you are listening in, your own ears, will mean that identical systems will sound different. Add in the type of music you listen to, and the quality of the recordings, and I would suggest that it is impossible to say that Brand X is the best CD player you can buy, or Brand Y is the best amp, etc.

Have I listened to every available interconnect in my system. Of course not. Have I heard a wide range of equipment and systems? Over the last 40 years – Yes I have. And having worked with a friend of mine who was an agent for a valve amplifier manufacturer, I have heard equipment I am very familiar with plugged into some seriously expensive systems as part of the marketing of the amps, systems using ‘highly regarded’ interconnects. So while not claiming to be anything of an expert, just a music lover, I think I am in a position to voice an opinion.

Putting the G1500’s between CD and pre-amp, the sound became more ‘right’. A bit like the effect of the human mountain that stands in front of you at concerts moving out of the way. The music is the same but suddenly its easier to hear, you can hear more of it, the bass is less ‘muddy’, you can hear the vocalist better – everything is better.

Adding another G1500 between pre-amp and power amp – same effect, but you’ve moved half a dozen rows nearer the stage. Everything is better again.
    Change the G1500 from CD to pre-amp to a G2000 and you really begin to appreciate what your system can produce. A bit less brightness (not that the G1500 is bright), but even better imaging, amazing vocal detail and presence (I think so anyway), wonderful decay on notes, you can hear the pitch of each note so much more easily, superbly natural percussion .... it becomes enthralling to listen to music you’ve listened to for years, and you hear things you haven’t heard before. So much that often tracks sound like new recordings , new mixes. As for bass ..... clean, deep, musical with none of that ‘upper bass bloom’ that can make harsh CD’s sound like analogue (but the sound just isn’t right) and is a feature of too many amps (in my opinion).
    Change the G1500 from pre-amp to power amp to a G2000 and ……the merest touch of brightness or edginess disappears, soundstage goes wider and everything else just sounds ‘cleaner and better’.

If your system already sounds ‘good’, you’ll find that these cables can turn your listening into an overwhelming experience. I listened to one of my favourite tracks and I had tears in my eyes as the track drew to a close. I had never heard it better, ..... the cables had let so much music through it was breathtaking. It really was just like being in the studio sat next to them while they were playing.

Wonderful.

But a word of caution ...... these cables let the music through better than any I’ve heard. But bad recordings, and bad systems won’t become good by using them. You might find, because of all the other variables in your system, that 2 x 1500’s or a 2000 and a 1500 sound right for you. But get it right, experience the magic, and its one of the best investments you’ll make. Give them a try ........ what have you got to lose?
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789