+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickering XV15 w-Stanton 890E stylus 2 - sibilance issues

I'm Chris.

Default Pickering XV15 w-Stanton 890E stylus 2 - sibilance issues

Hi guys,

I've just installed a Pickering XV15 with a NOS Stanton 890E stylus 2 on a medium-low(ish) weight arm.

It's got quite severe sibilance issues. I've tried tracking it anywhere between 3-5g and although towards 5g things do improve its still very prominent.

It aligns well on my protractor and channel balance etc is decent. My other issue is that although straight, when the stylus makes contact with the record, the cantilever is pulled towards the outside edge of the record player bu a few degrees. I've tried aligning the cartridge to compensate (so towards the angle its being dragged to) but it still gets pulled over so my alignment with the protractor is never going to be representative of when a record is actually playing.

See pic below for what I mean.

Any thoughts?? The seller is a well trusted and experienced one however upon opening the package the stylus was 'touching' some sellotape (although not under any force).

Cheers,

Chris

System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If the stylus is being deflected towards the outer edge of the record, I would suggest there is too much anti-skate bias being applied to the arm. In my experience most arms apply too much bias if setup according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If the stylus is being deflected towards the outer edge of the record, I would suggest there is too much anti-skate bias being applied to the arm. In my experience most arms apply too much bias if setup according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    Indeed, I had the same thought Barry but unfortunately, even at 0 anti-skate (and indeed at maximum) its still occurring.

I know many say it shouldn't matter as long as its not extreme but my logic says otherwise considering the fine adjustments which can affect the cartridge.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm James.

Maybe the cartridge internal suspension is knackered?

From your pics the cantilever looks a little skewed in the cartridge body?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Maybe the cartridge internal suspension is knackered?

From your pics the cantilever looks a little skewed in the cartridge body?
    Yup quite possible but it does sit dead straight before it touches the record . . . . which I find strange. As Barry suggested this does imply the anti-skate forces are too high but the same occurs at no anti-skate.

I'm hoping those with more knowledge/experience than me might be able to put forward a theory.

Cheers

I'm Alan.

Are you sure the anti skate mech is working? When off it's really off?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Are you sure the anti skate mech is working? When off it's really off?
    When the arm is floating (balanced) and anti skate is set at 0, it does not move laterally. If I add some anti-skate it then moves towards the edge. Slowly if its set at 1, quickly if its set to max (3).

Any better ways to check?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Yup quite possible but it does sit dead straight before it touches the record . . . . which I find strange. As Barry suggested this does imply the anti-skate forces are too high but the same occurs at no anti-skate.

I'm hoping those with more knowledge/experience than me might be able to put forward a theory.

Cheers
    From the issues you are having Chris an internal suspension problem could be the cause. These cartridges are pretty old and the internals can collapse, I had the same issue with an AKG stylus and the suspension proved to be knackered.

I'm Chris.

Thanks Jim, that sounds like it may well have happened then. I'll contact the seller and see what he thinks. He doesn't sell rubbish and has an impeccable rating over 20 years so I have high hopes he will be able to help.

Cheers

I'm Chris.

Just received this response from the seller:

"Hi Chris,

I will send you out another cartridge & stylus today and include a prepaid return shipping envelope.

Then you have multiple options as this should cover all bases. I appears that the suspension may be the problem.

Once you have things running smoothly you can return the pieces you do not want.

But if you are not completely satisfied then both combos can be sent back for a full refund.

Does that sound like the first line of attack for this issue?

Sorry if this causes too much inconvenience.

Regards and stay safe,

Terry."

Not sure I could ask for more than that. A proper service offered there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast