+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Tube Distinctions AOS classic series valve amp - the verdict

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm with you on 95% of that, Neal, apart from this bit:

Bass won't approach SS impact levels though.
    I guess it depends on the solid-state and valve amp in question, particularly whether the valve amp is push-pull, S.E.T, and which output valves it uses. All I can say from experience is that my KT88 60W P/P Yaqin has every bit as much bass impact (in fact probably more) than my ECS 200W monoblocks, and they weren't exactly lacking in that department before

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    hi tim,
    some of the current production valves are very good, especially the original svetlana's, in fact russian valves on the whole are quite good, with the exception of some of the ones branded up as something their not, [you know who you are] JJ valves are also very good, but my point was, in my opinion, none seem to have the magic that some of the most popular brands of the by gone era have.
    anthony...
    Oh, I'm an old guitar player and I completely get the NOS thing. What I'm trying to figure out is if there are types of valves that are better for hifi than others, and specifically, if any of the valves that are common in guitar amps and, therefore, have a large market assuring on-going production, are good hifi valves in the right amp design. Those common guitar amp valves would be EL34, EL84, 6v6, 6L6, KT88.... In particular, I've seen quite a few low-powered (what I need) valve amps on the net built around EL84s and 6v6s. These are great tubes for low-power guitar amps, but the requirements are quite different (avoiding clipping vs generating it).

I once had a pair of NOS Visseaux 6v6 GTs from 1951 in my '65 Deluxe Reverb. Many would have considered them a bit clean for that application, but they delivered this wonderful warm, glimmering clean tone, and when you did push them into clipping they took on a texture that was a perfect balance of cream and grit. Ah, those were the days...

Tim

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarney View Post
    Oh, I'm an old guitar player and I completely get the NOS thing. What I'm trying to figure out is if there are types of valves that are better for hifi than others, and specifically, if any of the valves that are common in guitar amps and, therefore, have a large market assuring on-going production, are good hifi valves in the right amp design. Those common guitar amp valves would be EL34, EL84, 6v6, 6L6, KT88.... In particular, I've seen quite a few low-powered (what I need) valve amps on the net built around EL84s and 6v6s. These are great tubes for low-power guitar amps, but the requirements are quite different (avoiding clipping vs generating it).

I once had a pair of NOS Visseaux 6v6 GTs from 1951 in my '65 Deluxe Reverb. Many would have considered them a bit clean for that application, but they delivered this wonderful warm, glimmering clean tone, and when you did push them into clipping they took on a texture that was a perfect balance of cream and grit. Ah, those were the days...

Tim
    hi tim,
    ok, out of the ones you mention for low power, [ie, run conservitably three and half watts single ended, and up to 12 watts push-pull] i would rate the sound of the 6v6 over the EL84 just my prefrence, but both are good little valves, although they are the same power equivilent,the 6v6 is a tetrode, and the el84 is a pentode, tetrodes tend to produce a little less of certain types of distortion, and as you say, the 6v6 can be found in some great sounding little guitar amps...
    the 6l6 and el37 are again around the same power out, but like the 6V6, the KT66, and the KT88, it is a tetrode, where as the EL84, EL34, EL37, etc are all pentodes.
    hope this helps.
    anthony

I'm Tony.

Steve kindly brought this amp round for demo last week, Tony (M) has done a fine job in upgrading this amplifier, giving it a nice lift across the audio spectrum, and keying in the traits Steve was looking for.
    Nice job Tony :-)
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Steve kindly brought this amp round for demo last week, Tony (M) has done a fine job in upgrading this amplifier, giving it a nice lift across the audio spectrum, and keying in the traits Steve was looking for.
    Nice job Tony :-)
    hi mr c,
    your comments are much apreciated.
    regards,anthony.

Hi Tony,

I heard you guys had a bit of a play - nice one

Steve told me he liked your amp, too; just that it did different things to his. I think the only thing I disagree about is your preference for 6550s.

Having conducted some tube-rolling on a few occasions between KT88s and 6550s (of the same pedigree – either both NOS or both new), I always much prefer KT88s - for me they just make music sound more 'alive' and real, and tonally they are pretty much spot on with seemingly little false emphasis at any part of the frequency range, particularly the Svelana cryo'd ones. NOS GECs are simply awesome.

6550s, on the other hand, to my ears tend to sound more 'bland' and 'valvey', but 'valvey' in the traditional sense, with a somewhat cloying, warmth stereotypical of what people who don't know imagine valves to sound like, which for me isn't natural or representative of real music.

Please bear in mind my comments above are not aimed at your amp (I haven't heard it) simply KT88s and 6550s in general. I guess though, as always, much depends on the overall balance of the system used; the circuit and how the chosen output valves are implemented, so I wouldn't dismiss 6550s out of hand - just that to my ears so far they're not for me.

Perhaps you could bring your amp along to the forthcoming Chester 'fest' (I know you travel around the place sometimes) on 23rd August, along with any other interesting bits and pieces, and see how it stacks up against Steve's amp (I'd like to hear this and so would a few others), my Yaqin, and a host of other things that people will be bringing. I always find these events very educational

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'd say that Mr C's modded Puresound majors on fluidity, ambience, texture and being unfatiguing; it sounds how a good valve amp really should sound.

The Anthony/TD version does things you just wouldn't expect from a valve amplifier; it is a valve amp for the flat earther in that it majors on speed, dynamics, tightness and agility in the bass with a healthy splash of tonal colour, timbre and solid imaging as added extras.

Neither amp is better than the other and both are an improvement over the stock Puresound A30. The choice is simply a matter of taste. I also prefer KT88s over 6550s.

The Anthony/TD version does things you just wouldn't expect from a valve amplifier; it is a valve amp for the flat earther in that it majors on speed, dynamics, tightness and agility in the bass with a healthy splash of tonal colour, timbre and solid imaging as added extras.
    That is exactly why I like Anthony's designs - because like you say, they don't sound 'traditionally' like valve amps. They marry the best of solid-state and valves and create an addictive cocktail of musical surprises.

This is precisely how my Yaqin sounds now (with minimal 'breathing on' by Anthony) so I'm looking forward to how much better still things will be when he fully 'sneezes' on it!

The prospect is now even more enticing since he's started to modify his own Yaqin, which I'm sure will throw up some useful observations that can be implemented into my own amp when it gets the full treatment

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Tony.

Marco,

Clients like different things from products, in a way we all like our sounds our own way.
    We have to make a more even handed approach, to suit a wider range of tastes.
    I feel the 88's have a more dynamic feel to them with more leading edge bite.
    The 6550's I am using are the GE units to me, the best of the real world versions of this envelope giving (for me) much better linearity and even handness.
    I can configure the amp to produce a more 'rock and roll feel without to much trouble as well.
    Anthony, has made the A30 exactly what Steve wanted in his quest for sound, a usual quality professional job from Mr.M :-)
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

Totally agree, Tony. Different strokes for different folks...

Steve said the hi-res downloads were very impressive

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234