+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Valve Phono stage with balanced outputs

I'm Josie.

Default Looking for a Valve Phono stage with balanced outputs

Hello there.

Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing? - Without re-mortgaging the house?

I'd love to find one. Kit form maybe?

Cheers
    Joe
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm ILOB.

Try this http://www.sacthailand.com/
    I have not heard it and not likely to be cheap but the guy makes good amps and hand builds the transformer Looking at the design I imagine this to be pretty special
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Retief.

Take a look at this hybrid phono stage. Although I expect it will be quite expensive, this guy builds seriously impressive amplifiers.

http://www.valveaudio.co.za/products_whisper.htm
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Did not the WD Phono come with a balanced option? Dave should have it back up and running soon.

I'm Nick.

Do you want it to be fully balanced, ie floating cartridge in? If so RTP3C would be fun.

http://www.vacuumstate.com/index.tpl...359.4561623100
    Nick.

I'm ILOB.

Here are a few others
    BAT not cheap but I think Neil likes this so might be worth a punt
    http://www.balanced.com/products/pho...0SE/index.html
    Alinic produce expense valve based balanced Phono stages
    Cheap well it just not out there I am afried
    Last edited by John; 11-08-2010 at 08:47.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Josie.

Cheers guys.

Is it me or is there a hole in the market here for more balanced valve amps? I'm very supprised that there isn't more about. I'm also supprised that companies such as Croft doesn't make (or even give an option) for XLR output as it can't be that difficult to adapt the output for balanced... or is this not the case?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm ILOB.

To be honest I could not here the difference beween Balanced and RCA on my Whest 30dt using the same make cables

I'm Josie.

What are you running it in to John? - I comparing results at the moment with XLR, sometimes I feel I get more grip via XLR, louder or faster bass. Nothing much difference (if at all) in the mids and high.

I must admit the Whest PS.30R is a probable next move to be honest, just need some moolah!

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Cheers guys.

Is it me or is there a hole in the market here for more balanced valve amps? I'm very supprised that there isn't more about. I'm also supprised that companies such as Croft doesn't make (or even give an option) for XLR output as it can't be that difficult to adapt the output for balanced... or is this not the case?
    Hi Joe

The reason there are less of these about is cost and the difficulty in designing a good one. A true balanced phono stage requires double upped circuitry i.e a separate left and right channel layout, this is called dual differential.

Valve phono stages are also hard to get right when dealing with MC carts. MM is easier to do right and costs less....usually. Main reason for this is low level phono signals don't want to be passed through any additional noise and valves can be noisy.

John mentioned BAT and I am a fan off their VK10 phono stages I have the top version which is the SE but it is very dear.

The other reason at least among UK companies (I think) is that up until recently single ended RCA designs were more common among amplifiers CD players etc and balanced was only common in the pro market and USA high-end audio products... Was there a market for balanced valve phono stages and were there enough people out there to pay for them.

There are however imho real benefits to be had going balanced with any products but particularly phono stages as cartridges are a balanced design themselves. However solid state makes it easier to amplify MC carts with no added or little added noise problem which valves as a bread have, they are more noisy in general(it is possible to get fairly silent valves but the number you have to go through makes it hard and costly to do).

If your system is balanced through out as my main system is then running a balanced phono stage is worthwhile and the BAT is one of the very best that I have tried personally, as it has a very low noise floor for a valve phono stage. It also uses step ups inside (as an option) for amplifying very low MC carts. Higher gain MC carts can be done through the valves direct though I think that the lower noise floor you can get by using the step ups instead makes it a worthwhile alternative to going only through the valve gain stage alone.

However I am in recent times changing my mind to the idea that simplicity is best with pre-amplifiers and phono stages and as such a good MM stage with a super step up transformer is probably (in many applications) the best way to go for the least amount of money but only if your system is single ended or you don't intend to run fully balanced from tonearm cables to phonostage and then to the pre or integrated amplifier.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast