+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS; Ortofon M20FL

TheMooN Guest

Default FS; Ortofon M20FL

Unused Nos Ortofon M20FL Moving Iron cart , acquired a few months back from William Thacker and Never mounted , Ergo Zero hours on the clock .These were £124/130 dep on current exch rate + shipping .

This thread on Vinyl engine was the cataylist http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23259

Looking for £90 + £5 recorded PP to UK
    Last edited by TheMooN; 01-08-2010 at 06:56.

I'm John.

Default Ortofon M20 FL Super

Was trying to follow your link to the Vinyl Engine but access was denied. Too much spam apparently.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Was trying to follow your link to the Vinyl Engine but access was denied. Too much spam apparently.
    Thanks for the heads up VE link repaired .

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's a good-un, likes higher mass arms and is tonally very even indeed. I love mine lots... Best fitted with the Cap 210 I think.

Good luck with the sale
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm King.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    It's a good-un, likes higher mass arms and is tonally very even indeed. I love mine lots... Best fitted with the Cap 210 I think.

Good luck with the sale
    Are you sure about that?

The Ortofon M20FL Super has a compliance of around 20cu which suggests it will need a low to medium mass arm for the best results.
    King

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kcc123 View Post
    Are you sure about that?

The Ortofon M20FL Super has a compliance of around 20cu which suggests it will need a low to medium mass arm for the best results.
    For sure King , I bought this one up as a back up cart on an SP10/EPA100 setup mainly due to the favourable buzz over on VE , Unfortunately never gotten around to setting her up and must bow to your user experiences there Dave .

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by kcc123 View Post
    Are you sure about that?

Compared to the VMS and earlier M series (including the M20E Super version [not the Dual one, as this is a custom-OEM VMS20e sibling]), the M20 FL Super can track at 1.5 - 1.7 grammes and to get the best sense of "air" from it, I tried increasing the arm effective mass from 13g approx to around 20g estimated. Groove stability wasn't overtly affected and the sense of 3-D inproved hugely to my ears.

This Ortofon was an oddball from their late seventies range, as most of the others were highly compliant as was the "replacement" VMS30, which wasn't as good IMO.

Arms like the Jelco 750 series, and my experiences with the FR64 and even the maligned Thorens TP16 and Lenco L75 tonearms, work surprisingly well with cartridges they're *not* supposed to work with. Only severely warped records, or badly set up springy belt driven wonders, will cause upsets I find.

I'm King.

Well, in this case, I will mount my two M20 FL Supers on two different mass arms or in two different mass headshells and compare. No disrespect to you, Dave, but I am just curious.
    King

I'm David.

Please do so. The Dual 701 tonearm is probably not a fair thing to use, but I rather preferred it mass loaded and that's how mine is set up on its headslide... The E version was definitely for low mass arms and the standard 701 arm was slightly too heavy for it.

TheMooN Guest

Price adj £85 + £5 recorded delivery UK

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast