Just got an EAT E-glo petite phono stage, an upgrade from a Vincent PHO701 with upgraded Telefunken ribbed plate 12AU7. The new one has a couple of 12AX7 tubes, and I was looking forward to experimenting with different tubes. I tried to find out what the stock tubes are, but my retailer did not know, and EAT has not replied yet (only a couple of days).

After opening it up, I notice that the tubes have heat sinks glued to them, they are cylindrical metal profiles with protruding lamellae. I cannot see any markings on the tubes, so have no idea what they might be. Additionally, I wonder how important those heat sinks are, and how to remove them safely without destroying the original tube.

It sounds quite a bit better right out of the box, more detailed, more defined soundstage. I got it with an upgraded power supply (Sbooster), so don't know how much that affects sound compared to standard wall wart. Adjustments of resistance and gain are easy and quick. I use it with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC* on a VPI Super Prime Scout and it sounds best so far with 65 db gain and 600 or 1200 Ohm. Looking forward to burning in the tubes a bit more. So far so very good. Just curious about the tube rolling aspect.