+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This week at the car boot sale

I'm Nick.

Neil... here's a little titbit about Elizabethan - their machines were pretty common through the late 50's and 60's - as evidenced by the number cropping up on eBay now and again!

Van der Molen Ltd, 1 Mildmay Road, Romford, Essex (in 1971). Later, at 101 Hainault Road, Romford, Essex. Maker of audio equipment. Established by Mr Van der Molen, circa 1965-67, at 42 Mawney Road, Romford, Essex. who was previously with Elizabethan (tape recorders).

I have some brochures for some of their equipment in my collection, including an overgrown version of a Philips EL3301 (early) cassette recorder!

EAP (Tape Recorders) Ltd. Originally established at Kingsland Road, London, in 1952 by H Lubin & S Larholt for the purpose of making TV test equipment, which was not a success. In 1955, they relocated to larger premises at 9 Field Place, St John Street, London, EC1. In 1955, they were using the “Elizabethan” brand for their tape recorders. In 1957 they introduced am FM tuner unit.

In August 1957, they relocated again, to a larger and new factory at Bridge Close, Oldchurch Road, Romford, Essex. In 1960, the name was changed to Elizabethan (Tape Recorders) Ltd, same location (in the same year, they offered the “Corsair” transistor radio). Elizabethan (Tape Recorders) Ltd, Crow Lane, Romford, Essex (in 1964 & 68). Tape recorders.

In 1965, the name changed to Elizabethan Electronics Ltd, to reflect their entry into other fields of electronics.

By 1970, the Elizabethan brand was later acquired by John E Dallas & Sons Ltd. They imported Hitachi products, badged “Elizabethan” for sale in the UK. Probably the same as Dallas wholesalers, Dallas Building, Clifton Street, London, EC2 (in 1960). I recall servicing a 12" ac/dc mono portable TV badged "Elizabethan".
    From the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration forum. Thanks Dazzlevision!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Neil... here's a little titbit about Elizabethan - their machines were pretty common through the late 50's and 60's - as evidenced by the number cropping up on eBay now and again!

From the UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration forum. Thanks Dazzlevision!
    Hi Nick

Thanks for the info.

It was very cheap and I hoped there might be some nice valves in it.

I already have a Grundig portable but I can't get to the valves (it came with Telefunken fitted as standard) in it without wrecking it and I would prefer not to so hopefully this will be easier. I think it will have Mullards in it.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Huge boot sale this week but slim pickings

Mission Speaker Stands £5.00

Technics Turntable (black from a system I guess) £3.00

Roth Audioblob 2.1 multimedia system £10.00
    (looked reasonable quality & brand new in box)
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Huge boot sale this week but slim pickings

Mission Speaker Stands £5.00

Technics Turntable (black from a system I guess) £3.00

Roth Audioblob 2.1 multimedia system £10.00
    (looked reasonable quality & brand new in box)
    Mothman, my heart bleeds

do you have to get there really early to catch the bargains? At my best local bootie all the good stuff goes in the first 10 minutes!
    Paul.

I'm Tom.

Mr "Eagle Eye" lives in Berkshire - no wonder he's picking up some nice hi-fi goodies cheap

I went to a Cornish boot sale a few weeks back and I saw a Technics SL1200 that was a real shed, with plenty of rust, a busted arm and parts missing. The clown who was selling it asked for £200 saying "They fetch over £300 on ebay you know" but THAT particular one certainly wouldn't. The bag of shit I was looking at needed that much to make it barely presentable

Paul, my local boot fair is not an early start, they don't let sellers in until about 9.00am and buyers in from around 9.45am. I really can't be bothered with getting there first thing and will only tend to buy if it's something I need or which I know is a bargain. I don't think you get many dealers there but then maybe theyv'e taken all the good stuff before I get there, guess I'll never know.

I did get a Sansui AU-505 amp the other week but it was dead when I got it home, however a fellow forumer "smurfbrain" kindly gave it a clean for me and adjusted the bias (what ever that is) and hey presto it works a treat. Great amp and listening to it as I type, probably the the best £2 I've ever spent .

Only kicking myself that I didn't pick up the matching tuner and speakers at the same time. Probably should have also bought the Royd Squires speakers I saw a couple of weeks ago but hey you live and learn.
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    Mr "Eagle Eye" lives in Berkshire - no wonder he's picking up some nice hi-fi goodies cheap
    Frank, this is only stuff I've seen and not stuff I've bought (other than the Sansui Amp), I'm lucky that my local boot fair is a big one with lots of sellers which means there is more chance of findiing something. Maybe I ought to buy more of the stuff I see but I never seem to have much luck selling gear on fleabay and also I don't know how to fix stuff if I find it's not working when I get it home. Also like you say much of the stuff at boot fairs tends to not to be in the best of nick.
    Rich

I'm Paul.

Mothman, what a bargain for £2! looks great in your pic.

My local bootie starts at 8am I think, sellers start pitching up at 7.30. Last time I went I had been out all night at a friends birthday party and decided not to bother going to bed. I got there thinking I'd be one of the first but it was bloody packed! There are people that do this kind of general bargain hunting as a serious hobby.

Trust me, you really should have snapped up those Squires.

I recently found out I've got to two companies/shops within 5 mins drive of my house that can repair/renovate/modify hi-fi which is a bit of a result i suppose.
    Paul.

There is a small dent in the front left hand side wood panel which you can't really see in the photo but other than that it cleaned up pretty nice for a 38yr old amp.
    Rich

I'm Tom.

I used to pick up some really nice stuff very cheap down at the local recycling centres in Basingstoke and down here in Cornwall and most of it worked fine. That was until a french company won the contract and all of it goes into the landfill now, apart from the really choice gear which is sold on to dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Frank, this is only stuff I've seen and not stuff I've bought (other than the Sansui Amp), I'm lucky that my local boot fair is a big one with lots of sellers which means there is more chance of findiing something. Maybe I ought to buy more of the stuff I see but I never seem to have much luck selling gear on fleabay and also I don't know how to fix stuff if I find it's not working when I get it home. Also like you say much of the stuff at boot fairs tends to not to be in the best of nick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast