+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Room absorbers..anyone ever tried?

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    Whatever
    So I guess the answer is 'no, they are not actually active'. It was a serious question, I'm not familiar with those cables, perhaps they are powered; I have tried interconnects where the shield was actually plugged into the mains and so they genuinely were active.

I did enjoy your 'logical' explanation as to why your little acrylic stands might make a difference though; presumably there is a different explanation now that they do not support an 'active' component - or whatever
    Account Deleted

I'm Dave.

Colin,
    Is your equipment rack between the speakers and on the same plane ? If so, the imagery will improve by moving the rack back or by moving the speakers forward. Once again, a duvet or blanket can be put to good use by draping it over the rack to soak up the reflections. Not pretty or practical but it will show what the rack is doing.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Im going to try the duvet tonight.
    Steve , are those GIK panels in the window, and are they absorbers?
    Did they contribute to the image focus or is that effect more from first reflection correction?
    Colin

They are the GIK 242 Absorbing panels you can see behind the speakers, against the sliding patio doors. They do contribute to image focus. The pictures below show the same GIK 242 panels used on the side walls at the first and second reflection points. The panel that can be seen on the window sill behind the listening position is a GIK Monster Bass Trap and is considerably thicker than the 242 panels. The DaaD tubes have absorbtion faces as well as diffusion. I have found that using diffussion at the front corners and between the speakers, facing the listening position enhances the soundstage. The large DaaD4's in the corners behind the listening position have their diffusing faces pointing outwards towards the side walls.

The overall effect, arrived at through experimentation, in what I would describe as a 'difficult' room to tune (24' X 11' X 8') is rock-solid imagery within the soundstage. The music is nicely layered, behind the plane of the speakers and there is tremendous depth and clarity to the images. Particularly listening in a darkened room, vocals can be clearly delineated from the position of the drums, double bass, piano etc. and adds to the realism of the listening experience

Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm colin.

Okay everyone ive spent 2 hours moving things around and the speakers are out of the corners and out of the plane of the racks.
    It doesnt look as bad as i thought and although i dont have rear enforcement for the rear ported speakers i have not lost the bass as much as i thought.
    the soundstage has reduced but the image is definetly more centered.
    I will play about a bit more over the next few days and i have sent a photograph to the GIK people to see what treatment they can suggest so its looking good so thanks everyone. Its looking neater to.

I'm Steve.

Glad to be of assistance!
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm colin.

Steve, what is that interesting mains plug unit nearest the rack in the 2nd picture?

I'm Steve.

Colin

It is called 'The Lens' and is designed and manufactured in the UK by Paul Chand, a Chartered Mechanical Engineer who is also a passionate music and hi fi lover.

The Lens was designed to control resonances at the critical AC socket/wall junction where vibration of stud walls caused by sound levels in the room can adversely affect the mains wiring and any equipment plugged into the wall sockets.

The key materials are a floating 6262 alluminium alloy front plate with ultra high precision ceramic isolation bearings seperating the plate, middle section and integral Crabtree socket from the rear section. Middle and rear sections are machined from solid PTFE. The lens is non-magnetic and non-ferrous with stainless steel fittings throughout.

The single 'Lens' that I use powers my whole system via the Vertex Elbrus balanced PSU and is connected back via dual radial cabling to a MEM consumer unit dedicated to the hi fi.

The cabling is dressed to avoid, as far as possible, contact with the stud wall and internal brickwork through which it passes. The mains cables terminating at the Crabtree socket are spaced 47mm from the wall and do not touch the front plate and PTFE sections which are screwed to the wall. The housing is installed over the socket and bolted to the front plate.

Before YNWaN asks, yes the Lens is 'actively powered'

Steve.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Okay everyone ive spent 2 hours moving things around and the speakers are out of the corners and out of the plane of the racks.
    It doesnt look as bad as i thought and although i dont have rear enforcement for the rear ported speakers i have not lost the bass as much as i thought.
    the soundstage has reduced but the image is definetly more centered.
    I will play about a bit more over the next few days and i have sent a photograph to the GIK people to see what treatment they can suggest so its looking good so thanks everyone. Its looking neater to.
    Absorbent panels are a doddle to make and cost only a few Pounds each.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    Colin

The cabling is dressed to avoid, as far as possible, contact with the stud wall and internal brickwork through which it passes. The mains cables terminating at the Crabtree socket are spaced 47mm from the wall and do not touch the front plate and PTFE sections which are screwed to the wall. The housing is installed over the socket and bolted to the front plate.
    ...To which the best 13A mains plug on the market is plugged in

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...To which the best 13A mains plug on the market is plugged in

Marco.
    Amen to that
    Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast