+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naim NAC A5 cable question

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Hi,

I have 2 x 3m runs of this cable, unterminated IIRC (it's been packed away for ages cos of it's inflexibility).

Is it worth anything?

Now, I know you'll all say no and buy it off me for a fiver, but come on, I'm unemployed. Trying to scrape together a few quid

Update: The cable is 12ft in length, so just under 4m actually. The cable says Naim Audio ----> (with the arrow) but nothing else. It doesn't say A5 or anything. Can I assume it's A5? The cable is terminated with banana plugs, but nothing special.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the cable is as stiff as old boots and difficult to "form" - it springs back to near straight - then it's A5, which is an inert insulation with 19 thickish strands. The A4 cable is seemingly a classic 42 strand with a web "spacer" between the conductors. In our situation, the black A4 aged over a few years and all the internal copper went dirty looking. The white A4 was better in this respect.

The A5 is silly money now, but does work well with softer sounding valve amps. It was magical with my Quad II's as I remember and IMO only really worked with Olive Naim over very long runs (several metres each).

P.S. The A4 had the Naim logo and text stamped into the webbing IIRC..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Lee.

Thanks Dave,

Looks like it's A5 then
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

I'm Lee.

Sold to an AOS member.
    Lee

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12