+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Sony X-800, HELLO Panasonic DP-UB820!

I'm Darren.

Has it landed yet?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol yes, it arrived within two days, but I wanted to wait until I'd received the new mains lead from Mark Grant, as I hate powering these things down once they've been set up, so only wanted to power it up once and leave it there!

And... The bloody post's been a nightmare here. It's taken nearly a week for the cable to arrive today from Mark, sent by 1st class post!! Are you finding the post slow where you are at the moment?

Anyway, I've just set it up and.... It's SUPERB! In terms of the claimed noise, sorry mate, I can't hear anything! Was yours faulty? Honestly, it's silent. However, the picture and sound quality is superb, and a notable upgrade on the departed Sony, which itself was none too shabby!

More later...

However, one thing I haven't sussed yet, although admittedly I haven't tried very hard, is to get the Panny to 'see' my Beresford DAC, when playing CDs, as it automatically defaults to its internal one. The Beresford is connected correctly, via a Toslink cable, from the output on the back of the Panny, to one of its optical inputs, so all seems ok there.

When I had the Sony player, I simply switched inputs on my Sony AV amp (to 'Video 1'), which the DAC is connected to via its analogue outputs, and that would kick in the Beresford, but I'm currently getting nothing via that input

Any suggestions?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

Sorry, I've only just seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol yes, it arrived within two days, but I wanted to wait until I'd received the new mains lead from Mark Grant, as I hate powering these things down once they've been set up, so only wanted to power it up once and leave it there!

And... The bloody post's been a nightmare here. It's taken nearly a week for the cable to arrive today from Mark, sent by 1st class post!! Are you finding the post slow where you are at the moment?
    Yes, Royal Mail deliveries are atrocious ATM, they're almost as bad as Amazon!

Anyway, I've just set it up and.... It's SUPERB! In terms of the claimed noise, sorry mate, I can't hear anything! Was yours faulty? Honestly, it's silent. However, the picture and sound quality is superb, and a notable upgrade on the departed Sony, which itself was none too shabby!
    I'll have to check yours out, mine is far from silent.

More later...

However, one thing I haven't sussed yet, although admittedly I haven't tried very hard, is to get the Panny to 'see' my Beresford DAC, when playing CDs, as it automatically defaults to its internal one. The Beresford is connected correctly, via a Toslink cable, from the output on the back of the Panny, to one of its optical inputs, so all seems ok there.

When I had the Sony player, I simply switched inputs on my Sony AV amp (to 'Video 1'), which the DAC is connected to via its analogue outputs, and that would kick in the Beresford, but I'm currently getting nothing via that input

Any suggestions?

Marco.
    You may have turn to turn HDMI Audio off to get Optical output.

Setting - Player Setting - HDMI - Audio Output.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Sorry, I've only just seen this.

Yes, Royal Mail deliveries are atrocious ATM, they're almost as bad as Amazon!

I'll have to check yours out, mine is far from silent.

You may have turn to turn HDMI Audio off to get Optical output.

Setting - Player Setting - HDMI - Audio Output.
    Hi matey,

No worries, I knew you'd be busy. Mine is defo silent, or certainly not noisy in any way as to be intrusive, therefore don't know if they've improved that aspect of their design in the current models. So defo pop round and have a listen - anytime!

I'm still struggling to get sound from the DAC, so will try what you've suggested. What's pissing me off more though, and I've tried every setting I can think of to eliminate it, is when playing CDs, the sound insists on outputting through the centre speaker and surrounds in 'cinema' mode.

I can't seem to get 2-channel stereo for the life of me!

Btw, just to clarify... I've connected up this player the same way as I did the Sony (although this time using an optical as opposed to a coaxial digital cable), and so have an optical cable running from the back of the player to one of the optical inputs on the DAC, then from there the signal leaves the analogue outputs, via a pair of analogue interconnects, into the appropriate input on the back of my Sony amp (same input as before with the Sony).

HDMI connections are exactly as before with the Sony, and with that I had no problems playing CDs in stereo.

So a any ideas why I'm on permanent surround sound mode?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

does the Sony amp also have a DAC? I thought you had a Denon AVR?

Anyway whatever make it is it seems to be taking your analogue signal and running it through its own DAC.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Darren.

Settings - Player Settings - HDMI - Advanced Setting - 7.1ch Auto Reformatting - Set to Off.

Settings - Player Settings - Sound - Downmix - Set to Stereo.

Do you know what the maximum supported sample rate is of the Beresford? I think Optical down sampling is set to 192kHz but can be adjusted in Player Settings - Sound - Optical Down Sampling.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Anyway whatever make it is it seems to be taking your analogue signal and running it through its own DAC.
    A good point! Are you outputting PCM or Bitstream?

Settings - Sound - Digital Audio Output.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Yes, the Denon amp (sorry, did I mistakenly say Sony?) has its own DAC.

However, when I had the previous Sony Bluray player, connected up the same way, all I did to activate the Beresford was switch inputs on the amp to 'Video 1', which the analogue cables from the DAC are plugged into on the back of the amp, and that kicked in the DAC, so that the sound outputted from that, as opposed to the Denon's built-in one.

However, when I do that now, with the Panny in the equation, I get no sound at all. Therefore, I reckon it's to do with the settings on the Panny Darren has mentioned.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Settings - Player Settings - HDMI - Advanced Setting - 7.1ch Auto Reformatting - Set to Off.

Settings - Player Settings - Sound - Downmix - Set to Stereo.

Do you know what the maximum supported sample rate is of the Beresford? I think Optical down sampling is set to 192kHz but can be adjusted in Player Settings - Sound - Optical Down Sampling.
    Hi mate, in terms of this and your other post (thanks for that), I won't be able to say what the current settings are, and try yours instead, until Del's finished watching TV and goes to bed, so will report back later

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Yes, the Denon amp (sorry, did I mistakenly say Sony?) has its own DAC.

However, when I had the previous Sony Bluray player, connected up the same way, all I did to activate the Beresford was switch inputs on the amp to 'Video 1', which the analogue cables from the DAC are plugged into on the back of the amp, and that kicked in the DAC, so that the sound outputted from that, as opposed to the Denon's built-in one.

However, when I do that now, with the Panny in the equation, I get no sound at all. Therefore, I reckon it's to do with the settings on the Panny Darren has mentioned.

Marco.
    Yes, has to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast