Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Some of the nicest headphones I have used were the Sennheiser HD450:

I say "nicest" as they were comfortable with a more than adequate sound quality (and let's face it, using headphones is a very artificial way to listen to anything, so IMO there is no point in eulogising about any of them) and for a reasonable price (about £60 in 1998).

Only dispensed with them around 2003, as the foam ear pads started to perish.
Currently using these on my computer; pads perished long ago, which is why my lady wiffie pinched my new but cheap Grado 60. They were taken into custody from the college audio stores I managed when it closed down about 35 years ago or more ago. Still work well, but would be even better with pads, assuming they can be had.

No mention of Focals on this thread; am a bit surprised. I've had HD650s for a decade or more but wanted to upgrade without a culture shock (the 800 series are different beasts). The Elears do just that; more transparency, better frequency extremes and prob. more comfy, albeit heavier than the Senn's.

There's still something really comforting and immersive about the 650s, though, and I still use them. I'm not the only one to 'upgrade' from these but deliberately fail to move on their 650s !

I really wonder what the Utopias (at around £3K) bring to the party, but it's a pity that I'll probably never know (at my age). I listen to TV a lot on cans and have music (CD and vinyl) sessions on them as a change from my big ESLs. Coil cans and ESL speakers; nice presentational juxtaposition.