+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Crossover-free zones

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by amdismal View Post
    Cheers. The Quads do live there: it's about 85cm from the back wall - sadly there is an inevitable concession to domestic harmony! There is an improvement to their focus if they are further out but it is not huge, so I can live with this.

I may move to stacked Quads sometime, but am concerned that I may be 'forced' to move them closer to the back wall, which would be a nightmare. Still, brassic right now, so I have much time to enjoy them as they are.
    I'm just deeply envious that you have the room for stacked Quads. I tried them for a short while, many years ago. Fabulous sound: deeper bass; less 'beaming'; superb presence, but alas, visually they were far too dominant and not conducive to domestic harmony.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm just deeply envious that you have the room for stacked Quads.
    That remains to be seen. The wife was quite happy when I described them to her originally, but that was before she saw how wide they are, and before she saw how far from the wall they need to be...

One the Caiman vs Akurate, sure the Akurate is better but it's just not that important musically - subtle detail is much less important to me than natural tone. I find digital sources contribute much less to the overall enjoyment than the amp and speakers. I think I have expensive digital sources out of my system now - I've had the Linn, I've had a dCS stack, meh to the lot of them!
    5-way digital active horns

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by amdismal View Post

TT:

The system is:
    Rock II, Excalibur,

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You should try the passive mod on the Caiman.

I'm drunk.

Stunning system, especially for £2K.

I imagine the "sound per pound" is is equal to the "grins per spin".

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    You should try the passive mod on the Caiman.
    Yeah I was looking at that yesterday. I may well get modding it - only problem is if it stays in the living room system then I couldn't get away with really ugly things like the CB power supply or anything where I have compromised safety, as my three year-old is often in there with me. Mods and tweaks are for the basement!
    5-way digital active horns

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Hi Adam,

Nice to see you across here!

Quads are looking very nice mate! I would like an hour or two in the 'den' listening to those little monsters aswell!

It will be interesting to hear what you think of the Liang 845 compared to the AI 500 & how close the SB Touch & whichever DAC you settle on compares to the Akurate DS!

I picked up an Audio Note Dac Zero to use with a SB Touch, but i'm using it with the Copland to great effect until I get around to picking up a SB Touch! My Hope was to get close to your Akurate or Marks ModWright Transporter so your thoughts will be interesting!

Cheers,alfie.
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I remember your 6B4G SET amp with great fondness if thats the right word for it, it sounded very good and just proves you don't need watts of power to make a big sound, just a well built amp and sensative speakers, this is something i would like to try in the near future, just need to get my man to builld one for me and i need to decide on what output valves i would go for.
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post

!

I picked up an Audio Note Dac Zero to use with a SB Touch, but i'm using it with the Copland to great effect until I get around to picking up a SB Touch! My Hope was to get close to your Akurate or Marks ModWright Transporter so your thoughts will be interesting!

Cheers,alfie.

Hi Alfie,

Has your AN DAC had the caps done as this would improve the sound further
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Garry.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Adam
    Those Quads look the business!!
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast