+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Build

Default Digital Build

Hi All

I am looking for some advice on building a digital audiophile set up from scratch

I currently use a Pioneer transit for CD playback to a Onkyo 876 AV amp with BW speakers

Looking to covert all my Red Book CD's to digital storage and playback etc,I have a 500gb hard drive installed on my Airport already and use a Powerful HP HDX premium series laptop with windows vista

So what are my choices,dac,programs,route etc for me to take to build my digital libary for a complete novice

My budget is not fixed so all recommendations welcome

Thanks in advance

raytom

I'm Keith.

Raytom, Mac mini, ipod 'touch' as remote, Async firewire or async USB dac of your choice/budget, that's it sq will be ( depending on the dac)state of the art.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

Hi Keith

iPod touch is sorted as have iPhone 4

What dac's do you advise?

And how does this all go together with Hard drive etc

What program's you use on Mac mini and iphone (touch) etc

Thanks for reply

Ray

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Ray,

Welcome to AOS!

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community by supplying your basic geographical location, system details and music tastes, as this is a requirement for all new members joining our site.
    Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Keith.

Raytom, iphone is perfect, you just need the 'remote control' app, the best dacs I have heard have all used async transfer protocols, if you use a Mac then take the firewire out, ( I sell these so pinch of salt ) but the Weiss dacII is extremely good, dac, firewire converter and preamp, async firewire. You might also look at the Metric halo offerings, the new dacs from M2tech and the new Arcam dac too.
    Re external storage, either a couple of mirrored hd's or perhaps something like the Promise DAS 4600 , up to four 2TB drives in a raid five config?
    You will hear plenty more opinions!
    VB Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'm using a Squeezebox Touch,Drobo and either Audio Note Dac Zero or Beresford.Sounds great.

I'm NoLongerActive.

As you are running Windows:
    dbPoweramp, probably one of the best rippers available and faster than EAC: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/ripping.html

You can start with WMP but it doesn’t have much ‘audiophile’ options.
    Foobar is a popular piece of freeware but I don’t like the interface
    My favourite is JRMC: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/S...MC14_audio.htm

If both your PC and your receiver supports SPDIF or Toslink you might simple give it a try.
    A promising development are USB DAC’s using asynchronous mode: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC.htm

Thanks all for the advice, any one get any more to offer?

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by raytom View Post

I currently use a Pioneer transit for CD playback to a Onkyo 876 AV amp with BW speakers
    Will the Onkyo AV amp still be in use or are you going to be using a hifi amplifier?

Just that the Onkyo AV amp might be the limiting factor to the sound quality.

Would be worth borrowing a decent 2 channel amplifier as a comparison if you can, does not have to cost much for great sound quality.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    Raytom, Mac mini, ipod 'touch' as remote, Async firewire or async USB dac of your choice/budget, that's it sq will be ( depending on the dac)state of the art.
    Keith.
    Hi Keith,

With the macmini iPod setup, do you need to have the mac's screen on when you are using it? All functions can be controlled via the "remote", auto wakeup, unripped CD playback, etc? Do they have these remote control softwares for other phones besides Apple?
    Also, does the macmini have any fan noise? Thanks.
    James

Denon DCD-755AE (Power supply mods, used as a transport)
    PS Audio Digital Link III (Power supply mods, Audiocom Superclock 4)
    Tricorp TRV-35SE (V-Cap Teflon and Wima MKP10 caps)
    KEF IQ5 (Bennic XPP caps and Jantzen MOX resistors)
    Yamaha YST-SW225 subwoofer
    Cables: Transparent Premium Powerlink, PS Audio xStream Prelude, Mark Grant DSP 2.5, Audioquest King Kobra, Audiotrak Glass Black

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast