+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget phonostage advice please.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Re Goldring styli, we always stocked the 1006, 1012GX and 1042 styli, sort of avoiding the 1022 versions as not really worth the bother at the time. I still think the Goldings are too expensive, but the 1042 always sounded swell in an RB300.

GET A NEW GENUINE THORENS BELT!!!!!!! The proper belt is soft and very elastic and does stretch easily over the years. Give the deck a new genuine one and I promise you it will sound better. Although your deck has a pulley clutch to aid startup, I'd still give the platter a push when turning on.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Now there's a tale to warm the cockles of yer heart! Nice one, Matthew

I'd recommend this if you want to own a quality MM phono stage for beer money:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=C2D

It sounds fantastic and, IMO, is way better than all the 'usual suspects' in terms of budget phonostages.... It often pays to think outside of the box!

Marco.
    Cool.

I've kept my Audiolab 8000a in case I need a phone stage (my 8000s doesn't have one) in case I ever dig out my Rega, but that looks like a great buy. I know that Audio Technica is a solid maker of TT parts, so it must be good.

Edit: If I have, ooh, I dunno, a 1993 Rega Planar 2, will it have a RB250 arm on it?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Matthew.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Re Goldring styli, we always stocked the 1006, 1012GX and 1042 styli, sort of avoiding the 1022 versions as not really worth the bother at the time. I still think the Goldings are too expensive, but the 1042 always sounded swell in an RB300.

GET A NEW GENUINE THORENS BELT!!!!!!! The proper belt is soft and very elastic and does stretch easily over the years. Give the deck a new genuine one and I promise you it will sound better. Although your deck has a pulley clutch to aid startup, I'd still give the platter a push when turning on.
    Dave, where would I get a genuine Thorens belt from? I have a 1012 prior to the GX suffix so would a D42 stylus with better stylus profile sound dramatically better?

Thanks for your observations so far

Cheers

Matthew
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    If I have, ooh, I dunno, a 1993 Rega Planar 2, will it have a RB250 arm on it?
    It's a straight arm. Anyone know? And what cartridge did they ship with too?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12