+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FLAC TO WAV Conversion

I'm Mark.

Default FLAC TO WAV Conversion

Hello All

What is the optimum way to convert FLAC files back to WAV without losses? At the moment I add the files to FLAC frontend and decode.

Also, how do you create a CUE sheet so the files converted back can be added to EAC and written to CD-R??

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Mark Bartlett

I'm Neal.

Don't know about the Que sheet but FLAC front end is the best way to convert back to WAV.

BTW FLAC *is* lossless and the conversion back to WAV will *always* result in the WAV file being an exact bit copy of the original. So all you need to FLAC front end to perform the conversion....

Default Digital Audio file Conversion Help Pleas

Hi All
    OK tiring too figure out digital audio files conversion types i.e. from Mp3 through to flac as I may want to download some music or copy my CD collection to hard drive as I don’t want to use MP3 as play back more like Flac I think if that’s the best format so what happens here if I want to convert mp3 or wav /wma files to Flac I’m thinking this cant work or can it I see Flac down to mp3 but not mp3 up to Flac anyone got advice on this
    Cheers
    Colin
    The Blues Man

I'm Nick.

Simple way would be mp3 to wav, then wav to flac, but if you are starting with mp3, there is little (IMO) to gain converting it to flac, the information is already lost.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    Simple way would be mp3 to wav, then wav to flac, but if you are starting with mp3, there is little (IMO) to gain converting it to flac, the information is already lost.
    Some of it is lost, but not all of it. However, in order to keep any losses to a minimum, it is best to keep the mp3 files as is and use an oversampling DAC to play it back. An 8x oversampling DAC would in theory be reproducing a 128kbs mp3 file at 8X the 128kbs rate.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Some of it is lost, but not all of it. However, in order to keep any losses to a minimum, it is best to keep the mp3 files as is and use an oversampling DAC to play it back. An 8x oversampling DAC would in theory be reproducing a 128kbs mp3 file at 8X the 128kbs rate.
    No, but the information that is lost by encoding to mp3 has gone forever. I fail to see any way that using a oversampling filter would manage to restore any of the information removed by the perceptial encoding, they are two very different processes.

You seem to be implying that using a 8X OS filter on a 128kbs mp3 file would produce the same results as a 1024kbs mp3 file, and thats just not true in any sense.

I'm Keith.

From a DAC manufacturer!!!!!!

You seem to be implying that using a 8X OS filter on a 128kbs mp3 file would produce the same results as a 1024kbs mp3 file, and thats just not true in any sense.
    Have you tried converting various waveforms from WAV to mp3, and then comparing the WAV and mp3 playback, or are you just guessing?

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

No, but the information that is lost by encoding to mp3 has gone forever.
    Agreed! maybe we misunderstood the post

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    From a DAC manufacturer!!!!!!
    Would you prefer an answer from a street cleaner or a pub landlord? This ain't wigwam where experts are not allowed to comment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast