+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idiot Question

I'm Neil.

Hills Components make a cable which comes in a blue jacket with no plugs as such, as the metal work is bonded into the end of the cable jacket which widens to accommodate it.

Shockingly good for a few quid imho/e but like most cheap cables not without some issues.

link to it http://www.hillscomponents.com/product.asp?PROD=21-7389

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 08-07-2010 at 12:10.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Strangely enough, or not, I've always found thinner cables to sound better than any of the 'hosepipe' variety, which usually sound phat and bloated in comparison.

In terms of speaker cable, I've just bought this Van Damme pro stuff from Mark Grant, to use with my Celestions in the lounge, and it's very good indeed at a mind-blowingly expensive (not) £1.90 a metre (!):

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/in...roducts_id=169

Marco.

P.S Andy, could you do me a favour and add your location details to your profile? Cheers!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

I tried DNM I/C as it is similar to the Cyrus cables in construction - thin wires parallel insulation. Then I tried Mark Grant Canare cables and the DNM is sitting somewhere awaiting a fate. Unlike Ali Tait I found the DNM light in the bass area compared to conventional cabling and MG in particular.

I'm Andy.

Brought some more to try as speaker cable, will report back, l am still shocked how good this cable is, anybody gonna give it a try( just so l know l am not going mad)
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'm using statics though.It may be a different story on conventional speakers.

Ali, I'd have thought that if a cable was bass-light you'd know about it more using statics than conventional speakers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Also a fan of solid core wire. Even my interconnects are solid core. I've tried various types, braided, silver-plated whatnot, and while sometimes they seemed to perform better in the end it seemed to come from an extra brightness or "edge enhancement" or something that would normally not be there in the music. I started to feel the solid cores just had a more reliable, easy sound, if that makes sense.

Right now I'm using a very plain Audio-Technica AT-ES1400. Those ones from Mark look interesting too, Marco.
    James

Denon DCD-755AE (Power supply mods, used as a transport)
    PS Audio Digital Link III (Power supply mods, Audiocom Superclock 4)
    Tricorp TRV-35SE (V-Cap Teflon and Wima MKP10 caps)
    KEF IQ5 (Bennic XPP caps and Jantzen MOX resistors)
    Yamaha YST-SW225 subwoofer
    Cables: Transparent Premium Powerlink, PS Audio xStream Prelude, Mark Grant DSP 2.5, Audioquest King Kobra, Audiotrak Glass Black

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not really,statics are an easy load in the bass,and drop impedance in the treble.It's generally the opposite for conventional speakers.

Yup, but what I meant was that, in general, statics (not yours) can be somewhat lacking in (genuine) bass extension compared to the best box speakers in that respect, despite their unquestionable talents in other areas.

This has certainly been my own experience to date with statics, in comparison to, say, large Tannoys, and so a bass-light speaker cable (if it were genuinely bass-light) used with them would exacerbate that effect more....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

What I was getting at is that because statics generally are an easier load in the bass than in the treble,they would demand less current than conventional speakers to reproduce those frequencies.At least,that's the way it seems to me,I may be completely wrong.In any case,coming from your large Tannoys,you'd no doubt find my statics bass-light by comparison.It's not an issue for me personally,I'm happy to trade a bit of extension for a cleaner reproduction,though being such large panels,they do give a pretty good response.The lack of a box adding to the impression of deep bass can also make statics appear to be more bass-light than they actually are.Most folk are used to the sound of bass from a box,coloured as it is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast