+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budget CD spinner with TDA 1541?...

I'm Alan.

Question Budget CD spinner with TDA 1541?...

Hi all, have been reading with interest the ravings re TDA 1541 DAC chips in all their incarnations, but I take on board the caveat that they must be correctly implemented. If I were to get one not so well implemented, I would not really be able to modify it myself. I did like my old Cambridge Audio CD6 which had 2 TDA 1305 chips, but I went to a Beresford after that which was preferable.

So what would be a better choice (there are many) of older CDPs with a well designed and implemented 1541 that sounds alive, and which can be modified in years to come? I am thinking along the lines of re-cocking and a non - oversampling conversion.

Arcam Alpha 5 springs to mind, and I did like the one I heard (a while ago). I have my eye on a Marantz CD74 ii and a (preferable) Rotel RCD 955 AX, which also has a nice transport. Both of these are sub £40 ish, are supposed to sound good now, and have potential for the future.

Any Thoughts?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I was going to immediately suggest the Arcam Alpha 5 - very good players although players from that era sound comparatively soft and warm by today's standards. You could always grab yourself an Arcam Black Box and then choose any transport you fancy.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Alan.

There is a blackbox 2 on ebay now: it has a TDA 1541A s1 which looks tasty. I had thought it could be advantageous to drop the two box approach though, cutting out the i/c etc. It would certainly be simpler, and perhaps cheaper too, but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Well cutting out the i/c would certainly shorten the signal path and reduce the risk of interference. However, the Black Box is a well sorted DAC and using an offboard doesn't limit your use of the DAC to the transport it's built in to.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Alan, I have been down this route by default! Last year, I was having issues with my gear (Arcam/Audiolab) not sounding quite right and got in touch with a guy who goes by the name of the Audiocellar (deals on ebay) to service my Audiolab amps. Anyway, talking to him re CD players, he extolled the virtue of the TDA 1541 and said, even though he had owned numerous high end CDPs over the years, he always came back to a heavily modded Arcam Alpha 5. He buys them faulty off ebay, fixes them, fits new capacitors and does loads of other mods (all top secret!). He occasionally sells them on ebay. They tend to go for £150 plus.

To cut a long story short, I have two I bought off him - a modded Alpha 5 and a modded Alpha 5 plus, which has been converted to NOS. They sound great and outperform my previous transport/DAC which cost over £1000. However, I don't now need both and am prepared to sell the modded Alpha 5 - I was going to list it on ebay, but would accept £150, which is £25 less than I paid for it at Christmas. Let me know if you are interested (or if anyone else is interested?).

As for the Black Box 2 on ebay, I was having a look. However, my info on these (and I used to have a BB50) is that they don't allow the best out of the TDA1541 chip - you need mods, etc.

I'm Mark.

Hello

If I may pitch in here.

I would suggest looking out for either Marantz CD80 or CD85, both players deliver a good sound from stock and lend themselves well for modifications.

Harder to find S/H and likely a better choice is the Studer A730.

Regards
    Mark Bartlett

I'm Alan.

Thumbs up

Wow- thank you all, food for thought indeed. Phil, I will be talking to my other half about your offer, and would really like to know more. I have heard of these modded players before and am intrigued.
    And Mark, thank you for those suggestions as well; I know next to nothing about the players you list, I assume they provide a slice of audio nirvana for comparative peanuts? I will be having a scout around, that's for sure.
    I will have to disappear off line this pm, so please don't think me rude if I don't reply 'till later.
    As ever, interested in all your views.
    Alan

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiocom View Post
    Hello

If I may pitch in here.

I would suggest looking out for either Marantz CD80 or CD85, both players deliver a good sound from stock and lend themselves well for modifications.

Harder to find S/H and likely a better choice is the Studer A730.

Regards
    Mark Bartlett
    Ye Gods! Is that a couple on ebay? what an intimidating machine, even if I had funds for one!

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

The A5 and A5+ don't sound that great in stock form IMHO but once modded make a great sound on the cheap

A few places offer mods for these units now with varying prices, which ones sound best and offer best value for money is hard to say.
    One thing I learn't with these cdp's is don't over do it

Also apart from the TDA1541A theres a few things thats implemented well in the Arcam, better than a lot of other machines using this chip, it just needs unleashing
    Last edited by leo; 13-06-2008 at 13:00.

Must admit, I have never heard a stock A5 or A5+, but I have heard too that although decent in their time, they are not up to much by current stds. However, some say there is nowt so musical as a well modded A5/A5+. Having not heard that many CDPs, I can't say, but like mine. Commercial outfits doing mods are Avondale and Net Audio, I believe, but there are many DIYers ot there.

+ Reply to Thread