+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 116 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman passive output mod revealed

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    How much worse are they than any standard wet electrolyte electrolytic? I mean they all leak to a certain extent though we should be talking micro Amperes in reality.

Do you happen to know how much worse the solid electrolytics (SEP) are by chance? 10%? 100%? Sorry, i gots to know

Cheers in advance Leo
    The leakage was enough in one case it set off an amplifiers DC protection on the output.

I've repaired quite a few item belonging to friends mostly what they'd modded themselves , Sanyo Oscons they fitted caused majority of problems ranging from DC leakage when used as coupling caps or used in the FB to high frequency instability when used on the output of LM317 based regulation caused by the low ESR.

Oscons are good caps but after previous experience I feel care is needed if using them, they can in some cases cause the inexperienced tweakers headaches
    Cheers,
    Leo

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Cheers Leo, a pretty comprehensive answer

A good bit of thought obviously needs to be put into if it's wise to use them then under certain circumstances
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Gary.

too rich for my blood!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Greetings All
    I have read this mod. with using caps only and removing the OP board.
    I have a 7250 which has 826 installed. I have a pair of REL caps from my Atma-Sphere MP3 pre amp. I have a pair of .10uf and .47uf 400V. Can I use either of these caps as coupling caps in my 7250.
    Thanks
    Bryan

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Depends on the input impedance of you preamp/amp.Do you know what the value is?

I'm AndrewR.

Hi BryanP,

Ali is correct about checking the input impedance of your amplifier, but it is most likely that those capacitance values are too small and would end up filter out a noticeable amount of bass.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Clive.

The 0.47uF should be fine for a preamp with a 50k input impedance.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Agreed Clive,I'm using 0.47uF with my WAD Pre 2,which has an input impedance of 100k.

Greetings All
    I installed the REL-Caps .47uf 400 volt. The improvement to the sound is wounderful. I am a believer!!
    Much more open and detailed bass.
    Works great into my PS Audio PCA-2 pre-amp
    Thanks for the info.

I'm Rob.

Default Help returning from passive mod to normal opamp mode?

HI,
    As I got carried away with success and good SQ with MLC5/6 mod I also wanted to try passive output mod as it seems quite simple and I had some spare caps.
    Anyway, it was not that simple as after doing this fiddly job only one channel was working (right) and I also did not like the sound as much as with opamps hence I wanted to return to normal opamp mode.
    After de soldering the caps and bridging the RCA sockets, there is not sound anymore coming either from fixed, variable and headphone outputs.What could be the problem?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread