+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 116 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman passive output mod revealed

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Oscons tend to be DC leaky especially the polymer based variety so I'd be cautious using them for coupling, work nice decoupling digital IC's or XO's though.
    Cheers,
    Leo

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

How much worse are they than any standard wet electrolyte electrolytic? I mean they all leak to a certain extent though we should be talking micro Amperes in reality.

Do you happen to know how much worse the solid electrolytics (SEP) are by chance? 10%? 100%? Sorry, i gots to know

Cheers in advance Leo
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Obviously down to personal taste but I've tried both Nichicon FG and SilmicII, I prefer the grey Rubycons over both those .
    Its worth trying these different types out yourself though
    Agreed, Leo, I also prefer the grey Rubycon CE types, which are still in circuit.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Still think the Clarity Caps will better all of those,but YMMV.
    Those are next on the list Ali
    Hopefully by then curiosity will stop getting the better of me!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Agreed, Leo, I also prefer the grey Rubycon CE types, which are still in circuit.
    Tried to source some of these, bloomin hard to find!
    Are they not being made any more?

I remember there was a group buy from the States to get them for upgrading the opamp board...but that was a while ago.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye,at least they are cheap,I've got the SCR's in now,which cost more than the dac!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    What no Sanyo Os-cons? Actually i'm being serious, Os-cons should sound better than the above as they have a solid electrolyte rather than liquid. Super low ESR over a really wide bandwidth & though it's not relevant a massive ripple current capability.

By the way, don't bother checking out the 47uf 25V KZ Attachment 2457 Go straight for the 50V version as this will give you better performance due to lower losses
    Hey Mark,
    your comment about the voltage got me thinking...

As there didn't seem to be any concensus about voltages (as opposed to uf) for the caps for this application, and believe me I checked(!), I guess I tried a variety of values as they were just a few pence to buy.

Your comment though about 50v giving better performance due to lower losses...does this apply across the board with all opamps in this case or just the Sanyo solid electrolyte ones you spoke of?

Always keen to learn about this stuff! ...

Going by the different choices of cap made here, I guess like most hifi stuff it comes down to the individuals ears!
    Is there a general concensus though about "best voltage" for caps for the passive output mod for the dac?

ta.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

DP
    Last edited by Gazjam; 17-08-2010 at 19:31.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Gaz, it applies to all electrolytics & to a certain extent non electrolytic capacitors The higher the voltage rating of the capacitor the less losses you'll get, less DC leakage current & you'll find that 99% of the time that capacitor ESR (equivalent series resistance) is lower as well.

In a way it's pretty obvious, a capacitor that is designed to have a maximum of say 25V accross it is manufactured to have a leakage current within certain limits. If you substituted one of lets say 4 times the voltage rating but kept the maximum voltage accross it at 25V or less then you'll get much less current leakage as that cap should have been designed to leak about the same as the 25V cap but at 100V

Give it 25V & the leakage current should be 1/4 of the 25V cap...

I'd like to point out that all capacitors should be "formed" or in the case of an older cap, "reformed". This involves something as simple as a regulated power supply set at the maximum voltage of the capacitor & a high value resistor or current regulation to gradually charge the capacitor up before you ever use it. Obviously discharge through another resistor before fitting it into a circuit

Doing this should give you maximum capacitor performance by reducing leakage currents
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Easily the best I've tried,but then I'm enjoying the Audio Note coppers in the AN dac too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 116 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast