+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 116 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman passive output mod revealed

We are in unchartered territory here Jerry. I myself have just ordered two of THESE in order to try out a solid cap instead of an electrolytic. I expect a loss in bass though with the drop in capacitance from 47uF.

MartinT Guest

I have a couple of Sanyo Os-Con polymer electrolytics and Wima MKS2 film capacitors on their way, will evaluate them and report my findings.

I'm Rob.

Clarity Caps are made by ICW. You can get free samples. I got some (although it was a few years ago) and they had my name printed on them!

They are very good IMO

I think that the Soniqs sold by World Designs are the same.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I expect a loss in bass though with the drop in capacitance from 47uF.
    It depends on the input impedance of your preamp. Mine is 47k so a drop to 22uF for the WIMAs should be fine, and even your 10uF polypropylenes (I assume, that's what they look like) would be ok. Are you driving a significantly lower input impedance?

f = 1 / (2 * Pi * R * C) to calculate the corner frequency, assuming low output impedance of the DAC chip.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

One problem with using film caps here is size,there's not a lot of room,but yes,it's like coupling caps in valve amps,they all sound different.There's a lot of scope here for tuning the sound of the dac to suit your own taste.The Clarity Caps are very good-as coupling caps in a valve amp-but they are rated at 630v,and from what I've heard,high voltage caps don't work very well at the voltages in the dac.I've bought some of these to try-

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/comp...p_bipolar.html

These are quite large at 25 by 38mm.Haven't fitted them yet as I'm waiting for some 100nF caps to bypass these with.

But really,there are lots of different caps you could try here.Buy a few different ones and experiment.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I suspect film caps of some type will be best,but good ones of this value would not be cheap.

It's weird how the Caiman defies the law of diminishing returns. I can't think of a cheaper 'bangs for bucks' mod on any DAC right now.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You could send me a free Caiman!

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I have a couple of Sanyo Os-Con polymer electrolytics and Wima MKS2 film capacitors on their way, will evaluate them and report my findings.

Oscons work well in digital supply decoupling applications but in the signal path I've always without exception found them poor, dull and grey sounding, never coming on song, this coming from bitter experience! YMMV but I think you'll waste a lot of burn in hours....
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

MartinT Guest

Ooh, I found a spare pair of Nichicon MUSE bipolar caps. They're inserted now, having a listen and letting them burn in.

Neal - I've had great results with Os-Cons in the past, must admit not as coupling caps. I thought it was worth the punt.

Last edited by MartinT; 27-11-2012 at 07:08. Reason: Changed photo hosting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 116 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast