+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman passive output mod revealed

I'm AndrewR.

I am betting that leo's eyes are bulging right now with how good it is

Right now I am in awe - the BGs are still improving. On top of the earlier improvements I'm hearing more natural detailed reverb on Magical Mystery Tour and a complex and more juicy tone.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Crazy Mundorf? They were only about £3.70 each.
    Haha, sorry. When I hear the name I automatically think about those Silver/Gold ones. I forget they have a wide range.
    James

Denon DCD-755AE (Power supply mods, used as a transport)
    PS Audio Digital Link III (Power supply mods, Audiocom Superclock 4)
    Tricorp TRV-35SE (V-Cap Teflon and Wima MKP10 caps)
    KEF IQ5 (Bennic XPP caps and Jantzen MOX resistors)
    Yamaha YST-SW225 subwoofer
    Cables: Transparent Premium Powerlink, PS Audio xStream Prelude, Mark Grant DSP 2.5, Audioquest King Kobra, Audiotrak Glass Black

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I had some of those as coupling caps in one of my valve amps.They were good in some ways,but you could accuse them of being all top and bottom with little in between.

I had some of those as coupling caps in one of my valve amps.They were good in some ways,but you could accuse them of being all top and bottom with little in between.
    Wow Ali, you sure seemed to have tried every cap out there. That must mean I think you're crazy!

Just kidding!! Of course! You're just doing what I wish I could do: open all frontiers. To boldly go where no man has gone before... Hopefully before I'm 60.

Well, like I said before, if any of you cap collectors want to get rid of some surplus let me know. I don't care that they are used. Just be honest and fair!
    Currently looking for oilers or oil-like; .22 - .68uF, 400v or more.
    James

Cables: Transparent Premium Powerlink, PS Audio xStream Prelude, Mark Grant DSP 2.5, Audioquest King Kobra, Audiotrak Glass Black

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    I found the Silmics a little coloured and over warm sounding for my taste .The Silmics I fitted had brown and gold sleeve where as the lower voltage ones seen on this forum are white and brown .
    Interesting, Leo. Mine are all the brown/gold variety and I don't find them overly warm except with the AD826. This is probably why I now prefer the LM4562 as it seems to have the ideal balance.

I may try the DAC direct output mod next, although I'm slightly concerned about the lack of muting relay giving strange sounds through my system. I tend to run at high levels and don't need a woofer in the face.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    I am betting that leo's eyes are bulging right now with how good it is

Right now I am in awe - the BGs are still improving. On top of the earlier improvements I'm hearing more natural detailed reverb on Magical Mystery Tour and a complex and more juicy tone.

Andrew
    I've not had chance to have a good listen yet, I'll leave them running in when I go to work
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Wow Ali, you sure seemed to have tried every cap out there. That must mean I think you're crazy!

Just kidding!! Of course! You're just doing what I wish I could do: open all frontiers. To boldly go where no man has gone before... Hopefully before I'm 60.

Well, like I said before, if any of you cap collectors want to get rid of some surplus let me know. I don't care that they are used. Just be honest and fair!
    Currently looking for oilers or oil-like; .22 - .68uF, 400v or more.
    Mad? Oh yes,we're all mad here,didn't you know? Some more than others of course....

I've by no means tried them all,but by far the best I've come across are SCR teflons.They are seriously pricy though.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Interesting, Leo. Mine are all the brown/gold variety and I don't find them overly warm except with the AD826. This is probably why I now prefer the LM4562 as it seems to have the ideal balance.

I may try the DAC direct output mod next, although I'm slightly concerned about the lack of muting relay giving strange sounds through my system. I tend to run at high levels and don't need a woofer in the face.
    Yes, I guess its why we have to try these things out isn't it Could be because we use different regulation or something or maybe because my Silmics was much higher voltage, dunno yet tbh, I'm willing to try the lower voltage ones just to be sure

I don't think the passive mod will suite everybody but its easy to try and put back .
    BTW if you try it the same as me or easier still the same as Andrew you get the muting relay in the circuit , you can just pull the audioboard out and stick the caps in the socket. If you look you'll see the relay, its wired to the output of that socket , if you do it the same as stans pic your bypassing the relay altogether .
    Cheers,
    Leo

Mad? Oh yes,we're all mad here,didn't you know? Some more than others of course....

I've by no means tried them all,but by far the best I've come across are SCR teflons.They are seriously pricy though.
    I've been posting quite a lot here lately. Perhaps I'm going mad too.

I often wonder what my wife thinks when she comes home to find me hunched over a pcb with a trail of smoke coming up. Sometimes while I'm at work I think about what I'm going to do to my audio, then just as soon I get home I get started on it. If that's not mad I don't know what is.
    James

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep.You've got it bad.

+ Reply to Thread