+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 116 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman passive output mod revealed

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Just try it and see what happens.If you don't like the results it's easy to reverse.

Can anything like the passive output mod be added to parts of the variable circuit to gain some of the advantages. I use the Caiman as a preamp so unfortunately cannot go with the fixed outputs. I have done the wire mod and resistor already though.

Regards

Chris

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Resistor?

Best see the Caiman Mod thread for the resistor mod. Shame to repeat it here.

Regards

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have a 7510,so don't know if it's relevant.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I decided to make a test jig which just plugs in instead of the active audio board, I did it like this mainly as temporary to allow easy and quick swapping of the caps, it also goes through the onboard relay same as the active board

I also refitted the stock tans etc around the dac until I can get the smaller Silmic II's. the ones I fitted was a little big

The passive mod will have varying results depending on your kit mainly what the dac see's on the output, things like capacitive loads , long interconnects etc may influence things more than with the active audioboard Watch out for things like distortion or clipping.

The blue caps in the pic are Epcos polyester , the polypropylenes I tried first are just huge
    I'm going to have a scrounge to see what others I have, the sound so far is smoother, less forward . Bass seems deeper

Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    I decided to make a test jig which just plugs in instead of the active audio board, I did it like this mainly as temporary to allow easy and quick swapping of the caps, it also goes through the onboard relay same as the active board

I also refitted the stock tans etc around the dac until I can get the smaller Silmic II's. the ones I fitted was a little big

The passive mod will have varying results depending on your kit mainly what the dac see's on the output, things like capacitive loads , long interconnects etc may influence things more than with the active audioboard Watch out for things like distortion or clipping.

The blue caps in the pic are Epcos polyester , the polypropylenes I tried first are just huge
    I'm going to have a scrounge to see what others I have, the sound so far is smoother, less forward . Bass seems deeper

Are these the two 10uf caps you are playing with ?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

Those blue ones in the picture are 10uf polyester , I've a few other types to try yet, some electrolytics etc
    Polypropylene sounded better than the blue polyesters but their 40mm diameter
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Rob.

What difference have you found from replacing the original caps?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    What difference have you found from replacing the original caps?
    you mean the tants around the dac ? I found the Silmics a little coloured and over warm sounding for my taste .The Silmics I fitted had brown and gold sleeve where as the lower voltage ones seen on this forum are white and brown . They may be exactly the same I want to try some lower voltage brown and white just to be sure.
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 116 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast