+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 116 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1153

Thread: Caiman passive output mod revealed

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

I've some how managed to fit the caps in.

I taped the black plastic housing back together with insulation tape,then using the wire cutters cut the lead out wires in half,so they now go in easily,especially with a bit of give in my bodged up repairs

Giving the caps a run-in now,sounds good allready.

(And i want to replace caps in my active monitors )
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Phew - that was close! Glad it is working out - the caps will probably need some run in time, but probably not the 200 hours the Caiman did originally!

Darren, perhaps you'd be advised to reconsider your other project?!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Phew - that was close! Glad it is working out - the caps will probably need some run in time, but probably not the 200 hours the Caiman did originally!

Darren, perhaps you'd be advised to reconsider your other project?!
    Must admit they sound very good atm,so if they get better,bonus.

Listening to some cinematic orchrestra and the first thing to hit me was the wider more defined soundstage.Everthing now sounds unforced and alot more anologue like,and all this for a tenner,amazing.

Well i'll reconsider alex for abit,then probaly carry on and if i bugger things up,i've got an excuse to buy some new speakers
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Doug.

Ive just completed the Passive mod on a Caiman with Murata Regs and Elna caps. The Muratas did not work well with the Gator board I installed (the usual high pitched noise that many users get) So, I removed the board and experimented with various sizes of caps slotted into the 5 hole connector. I am playing my Caiman into a 25kohm passive ladder stepped attenuator preamp.

I purchased a selection of cheap caps from Maplin to try with a view to purchasing good ones once I'd found the optimum capacitance. I tried 2.2uf but found it a bit fuzzy and distorted, no decent soundstage. I then tried 3.3uf which sounded considerably better. 10uf sounded pretty darn good with soundstage returning, clarity and a sound that reminded me of the gator board. 47uf started to thin the sound a bit. So, in conclusion, For my system, with a 25k preamp, 10uf polarised caps seem to sound the best for a passive mod. I will give it a few days, and when Ive finally decided Ill purchase a pair of higher quality caps to install. Hope this might help someone who is considering the passive mod.
    Magna Hifi Sonos Connect as source for 3 systems:
    1 Beresford Caiman SEG dac to Avondale Quad 606 to Revel Performa3 M105s and BK xls400.
    2 Beresford Caiman SEG dac to modified Quad 405 to EB Acoustics EB2s and BK Xls200
    3 shares Caiman SEG with 2nd system to Linn Powertek and Cambridge Audio S30s

MartinT Guest

The capacitor type seems to be more critical than the actual value. What type did you settle on?

I'm Doug.

Thanks, that is a good point about the type of capacitor. I have been switching between cheap maplins 10uf polarised, 4.7uf polarised and maplins "audio quality"47uf nonpolarised cap. After a few days listening, The 47uf non polarised cap appears to give the cleanest sound, but does reduce the bass kick a little. I think the clean sound may be due to the quality of the cap rather than its value. Ive decided to order a range of decent quality electrolytics probably nichon muse from hificollective. They are still less than 50p each. I will listen to them for a week or two before settling on a more expensive pair.
    Magna Hifi Sonos Connect as source for 3 systems:
    1 Beresford Caiman SEG dac to Avondale Quad 606 to Revel Performa3 M105s and BK xls400.
    2 Beresford Caiman SEG dac to modified Quad 405 to EB Acoustics EB2s and BK Xls200
    3 shares Caiman SEG with 2nd system to Linn Powertek and Cambridge Audio S30s

MartinT Guest

Good plan, Doug. If you can stand it, read back over this complete thread as several of us have published our findings on a range of different capacitor types.

I'm Anthony.

Hi Chaps,

Currently using 10uf Nichicon FG capacitors in the passive mod on a standard 7520. Amplifier impedance is 47Kohms

Came across this info regarding the Rega Dac.

'All the capacitors associated with the analogue signal path are Nichicon FG bypassed with MMK polyester capacitors'

Question is: Can one of you clever guys advise best bypass value and a good alternative to the MMK as I cant find them anywhwere.

Regards
    Tony

MartinT Guest

As a rule of thumb 1/100 is a good bypass value, so 100nF to bypass 10uF. For best sound quality go for polypropylene (but tend to be big) or film.

I'm Anthony.

Thanks Martin,

Got some 2.2 Muse ES coming; what would the value be for them ?

probably unable to get them in the same holes so is just just solder them to the legs of FG's observing polarity.

Tony
    Last edited by LittleTone; 20-09-2011 at 12:21. Reason: added text

+ Reply to Thread