+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Optical outputs that bad?

I'm Nobody.

Default Are Optical outputs that bad?

I did a bit of farting about last night with the Sony CD Players.Trying to decide things.

I have a couple Sony XB-930QS UK Special editions & a X222ES..

The 'XB-930QS' has both Optical & Coax digital outputs, but it has no variable output on analogue which would mean i really need a line level pre-amp to go with the power amp.

The 'X222ES' has only an optical digital output only but has both set & variable analogue outputs.

Which ever machine i use (Will only have room for one) which will be use with outboard DAC. The 'X222ES' is the candidate with the variable Analogue output as i don't want to use a pre-amp, even though i adore the smoothness of the tray & fix lazer mech with the 'XB-930QS' i prefer using the 'X-222ES' as it's just a more enjoyable machine to use!

These will more than likley go when i can afford a top of the range Sony but not for a long time yet.

The thing is as the title says are Optical digital lines really that bad.I do sence a very very slight difference between Coax/Optical on the 'XB-930' but it is fractional!

Any good recommendations for optical as i only use a QED 'Performance' optical lead, never really bothered with optical before till i bought the 'X222ES' machine!! I've always took very expensive optical leads as a bit of a con tbh..Maybe this QEDlead is as good as it gets with opticals?
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 03-07-2010 at 15:18.

I'm Martin.

How do you vary the digital output on the XB930?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How do you vary the digital output on the XB930?
    I don't it's the Analogue output thats variable (only on the 222), should be the same as Marco Player in that respect..Motorised pots via remote or manual.

I'm Martin.

Just this you said that implies the digital output is variable:

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

The 'XB-930QS' has both Optical & Coax digital outputs, no variable output on analogue ?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Nobody.

Just this you said that implies the digital output is variable:
    Is this better

The 'XB-930QS' has both Optical & Coax digital outputs, but it has no variable output on analogue!

I'm InSpace.

Is this better
    Not really!

If you'd said: "has no variable output on analogue or digital" it would have been clearer.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Martin.

Is this better

The 'XB-930QS' has both Optical & Coax digital outputs, but it has no variable output on analogue!
    Andre I know better than to pick you up on technicalities I was just hoping you knew something about the XB930 I didn't as a variable output on this player would be very useful to me
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Nobody.

Andre I know better than to pick you up on technicalities I was just hoping you knew something about the XB930 I didn't as a variable output on this player would be very useful to me
    You can actually vary the output on the '930' remote but it resets when you switch the machine off, thats no good for me. Anyway the question being is optical really that bad? All the other technicalities mentioned were aimed more at what i'm wanting from the machine nothing really to doo with the main question, just to give a picture ..

I'm notAlone.

Any good recommendations for optical as i only use a QED 'Performance' optical lead, never really bothered with optical before till i bought the 'X222ES' machine!! I've always took very expensive optical leads as a bit of a con tbh..Maybe this QEDlead is as good as it gets with opticals?
    I can suggest two:
    Glass : http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/in...ex&cPath=40_17
    or fiber : http://www.hificables.co.uk/11739/At...re-Optics.html
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Dave.

Personally I've so far not heard any difference between coax and optical in my system, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Although I'd recommend you try both to be sure. However, the bit I don't understand is why you need the variable analogue output on the CD player if you're going to be using an external DAC? Or have I missed something?
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast