+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: budget DAC for use with the pc. any advice welcome

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    If I hadn't spent all this weeks pocket money already... But seriously, I reckon this would be quite useful in second or office systems particularly - as well as from soundcards, use an old player as transport, or even add one to an AirPort Express for wireless streaming... hmmmm...
    Alex, just curious, do you think that little CYP would really make a difference to the Airport Express?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I can't vouch for it personally, as I haven't had experience of it, but by taking the example of a USB Soundblaster PC Soundcard I had, which was quite a cheap one (£70) it knocked spots off the internal DAC on the laptop. Given that the soundcard had all of the other extras like remote control and leads, I'm guessing the cost of the DAC chip is pence - so there's no reason why a very adequate DAC couldn't be put together for this amount of money, and I'd wager it would improve upon the airport express's built in one...

I'm pretty sure it is the same as this one on Amazon with a different name - most people using them to take the sound from TVs, but some for audio:

" Allows me to run 10m of optical cable (mini-TOSlink to TOSlink) from my iMac into my TEAC analogue inputs. The sound is even better than running directly off the TEAC cd player ! Very happy bunny."

"Bought this to give me a clean signal from the optical output of my Macbook Pro as it's analogue output is pretty awful. Plugged it in and away we went. Lovely clean, rich sound (and I've been a professional sound designer for 22 years so I'm picky). Would recommend wholeheartedly."

"Bought this to connect to an Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod dock (also bought from Amazon). Does the job just fine. Connected the Onkyo to the DAC using a QED optical cable and then connected the DAC to my Yamaha analogue amp with Cambridge audio co-ax cables. Great sound"

Dunno - would be an interesting experiment, though but I don't have an Airport Express (or any play money left!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234