+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noise/interference prob after adding power amp

Default Noise/interference prob after adding power amp

Hi all,this is my first post so many thanks in advance for any replies

setup
    laptop playing apple lossless into Beresford tc7520 via airport express connected optically Roksan K2 integrated amp,Roksan K2 power amp,Dali Ikon 6 speakers Chord Chameleon Silver + inters,Chord Oddyssey speaker cable.

I have recently added the power amp making a bi-amp setup and now have a problem with noise/interference.I have the Beresford in pre-amp mode and after about 15 mins of use a very annoying electronic type noise starts,I would describe it as high pitched beeping almost like a slowed down version of the noises an old dial up modem used to make when connecting and would seem to be electronic in nature rather than an electrical hum/buzz.
    I have plugged and unplugged everything several times with out curing the noise,yesterday I went back to the original set up of just the Beresford and K2 integrated and the noise has gone so that would seem to prove it`s something to do with the power amp,could it be interfering with the Beresford in some way?
    I am starting to wonder if the power amp may be faulty as it`s strange that the noise only starts after 15 mins or so rather than straight away.Any suggestions/advice most gratefully accepted,sorry to be so long winded for my first post but this is driving me nuts!
    Phil.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi matey,

Welcome to AOS

Can you do me a favour please and pop into the Welcome area and tell people your first name, basic location and music tastes, as this is the required procedure for all new members.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Whoops,not a good start! Will rectify my glaring error immediately
    Phil.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Phil, this will be a laugh, me trying to help... but at least I am trying! (welcome, BTW.)

I agree that it sounds like the power amp is at fault, if going back to your initial configuration remedies the problem. I'm not sure how the K2 integrated works, but assuming there is a pre-out, can I suggest that you set it up using the integrated as a pre, into the K2 Power, with a source directly into the "pre" but not using the Beresford? This will confirm or deny that the power amp in itself has a problem totally unrelated to it's co-existence with the DAC.

Assuming this setup works fine, try the Beresford in line out mode into the K2 Integrated (still as a pre) and see what that gives you.

Not sure I've made any sense, the heat could be getting to me!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Andy.

It would be a good idea if you tested the power amp straight out of the beresford variable outputs. See if it noises then. I suspect it will!

If no noise - then try as alex says - getting rid of the beresford and running with just the integrated and power.

Frankly I would dump the integrated anyway (unless you need it's inputs) as Beresford straight into Power amp is a great combo!!

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

+ Reply to Thread