+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a netbook as audio source?

Default Using a netbook as audio source?

What do you think of using a netbook as an audio source in a hifi system? I'm planning to use a Samsung N220 netbook ad the source, but my guess is that its line out connector is not of very high quality, not to mention its DAC...

I'm thinking that maybe I should get a DAC with USB input. I don't have any high resolution music, only cd quality. Which DAC should I get?
    Janne

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Janat View Post
    I'm thinking that maybe I should get a DAC with USB input. I don't have any high resolution music, only cd quality. Which DAC should I get?
    You're asking that question around here ?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm NoLongerActive.

Playback sec doesn’t require much power so a net book should do.
    Make sure it is a silent one, nothing as horrible as listening to a string quartet accompanied by a cpu cooler and a rattling HD.
    Today there are may DAC’s with USB input.
    Most of them are adaptive mode USB using a simple drop in chip.
    A couple of new models have asynchronous mode USB and allow for higher resolutions (up to 24 bit / 96 kHz)
    A couple of them can be found here: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC.htm

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Vincent,

Any chance of telling us where you're from, or are you a secret agent? I have asked you on number of occasions now

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NoLongerActive.

Would you be so kind to explain to me what the relevance is of knowing somebody’s geographical location?

Hi Vincent,

If you have to ask that question then you obviously haven't read many of the discussions here and/or the whole of the Welcome area (or Our Ethos)!

In fact, have you created a Welcome thread since joining? If not, you should do so.

As far as location details are concerned, all we're asking for is something basic like 'London, UK', or whatever. It's hardly too much to ask, so please, add it to your profile - thanks!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thanks for complying, Vincent! Now you see that's interesting, as I wouldn't have guessed before that you were from Holland

Incidentally, reading through the website on your signature, I discovered this quote from Gordon Holt of Stereophile:

Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me..
    I'm not entirely sure such views fit in with Our Ethos, or on a staunchly subjectivist site such as AOS, but if you sympathise with those views, then that's entirely your prerogative.

Have you read Our Ethos: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17 - noting in particular posts #5 and #6?

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You're asking that question around here ?
    Hmm... What's the problem here?
    Janne

I'm Steve.

Hmm... What's the problem here?
    Nothing as such, other than there's quite likely to be a (rightly) popular, audio bargain choice offered.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

What do you think of using a netbook as an audio source in a hifi system? I'm planning to use a Samsung N220 netbook ad the source, but my guess is that its line out connector is not of very high quality, not to mention its DAC...

As it happens I've been considering the same thing myself as an easy, low cost alternative to moving my iMac to my garden den once it's finished.

If you're planning to use the netbook as a way to interface with a network streaming device like a squeezebox (i.e. providing a point to connect a USBC drive and use the browser interface), then I'd say it's fine. In fact this exactly what I was planning.

If on the other had you were going to play files directly from the netbook to the DAC (let alone the actual audio outputs), then I wouldn't expect great things.

By their very nature, netbooks are a whole load of comparatively cheap electronic components jammed together in a very small space - screen, hard drive, power supply etc, etc. It's inevitable that there's going to be a load of potential for the output to be less than ideal. I mean it's hardly how an audio manufacturer would go about designing and packaging a CD transport is it? And that's essentially what you asking the netbook to act as in this case, except it's also having to do a whole load of other stuff that a transport wouldn't.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast