+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay for high quality streaming?

I'm Chris.

I've said it before but what the heck... once more with feeling

I will never, so long as there is breath in my body, be guilty of paying so much as one penny piece for (lossy) compressed music.

My view is that anything streamed as MP3 is a sample only and a poor facsimile of the real music and should therefore be free.

I am of course happy to pay for the uncompressed original. I might consider a subscription to a FLAC stream if I had more time to listen or if I could record it and skip through it later.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    I've said it before but what the heck... once more with feeling

I will never, so long as there is breath in my body, be guilty of paying so much as one penny piece for (lossy) compressed music.

My view is that anything streamed as MP3 is a sample only and a poor facsimile of the real music and should therefore be free.

I am of course happy to pay for the uncompressed original. I might consider a subscription to a FLAC stream if I had more time to listen or if I could record it and skip through it later.
    You're right. Paying for lossy music is like paying for a book where 90% of paragraphs of text are missing, or are printed with the palest ink possible, and cannot be consumed.

Or, paying for a glossy magazine where 90% of the photos are washed away...

Or, paying for a cheese burger where cheese is made of toxic plastic, Chinese style...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

I am an old fashioned kind of guy as I like to handle what I play. The idea of using a computer for this freaks me out, the ramifications are massive. The early adopters are forcing the rest of us into a digital/computer future I really don't want any part off. I am being dragged kicking and screaming towards it and I am not happy.

Regards D S D L

No, I think you're just suffering from paranoid delusion. its a common dysfunction amongst the aged. Please seek the services of a suitably qualified therapist immediately.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I am an old fashioned kind of guy as I like to handle what I play. The idea of using a computer for this freaks me out, the ramifications are massive. The early adopters are forcing the rest of us into a digital/computer future I really don't want any part off. I am being dragged kicking and screaming towards it and I am not happy.

Regards D S D L
    Am I to understand from this that you're only using analog media? So CDs are out of question for you?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Am I to understand from this that you're only using analog media? So CDs are out of question for you?
    magic, every time I read your posts I do it in the voice of Alan Partridge - it's bloody weird but very compulsive

Have you ever thought of slipping in a few partridge-isms into the conversation every now and again? something like,

back of the net!

double-wicket-maiden

I've just come back from an after hours lock-in at my local Tandy store in Norwich shopping centre

or

has anyone spent a sunday afternoon dismantling a corgi trouser press in a travel tavern?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    magic, every time I read your posts I do it in the voice of Alan Partridge - it's bloody weird but very compulsive

Have you ever thought of slipping in a few partridge-isms into the conversation every now and again? something like,

back of the net!

double-wicket-maiden

I've just come back from an after hours lock-in at my local Tandy store in Norwich shopping centre

or

has anyone spent a sunday afternoon dismantling a corgi trouser press in a travel tavern?
    Hahaha, good one! No, I wasn't sure if any of you guys remember a 13 year old sitcom (probably the best one ever).

A propos... a propos? You don't know what a propos is? Well... you ought to have basic grasp of Latin if are to work at Curry's!

Alex.

I'm Dave.

For me, I'm sorry guys, but the effort of ripping loads of CDs, and then maybe loading up to some form of cloud just seems too much effort. If I want to listen to a CD I just put one in the player.

Obviously some of you like Spotify, as I do - and I even like some of the other services with lower quality sound at times, as they may have music I want to listen to. For preference, like most of you, I'd rather have higher quality, but if it's a choice between hearing something good in poor quality sound, and hearing something bad in super sound, well - figure which I'd usually go for.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough in the thread opening that I was also interested in radio style channels. I find it odd, but sometimes it's quite fun to listen to what might be someone else's choice of music, and radio often does that. That way there'd be surprises, and sometimes worthwhile new discoveries.

One I quite like is RadioIO, but the basic quality is not great, and even the so-called Audiophile channels available as a Premium offering are only 192kbps mp3s. Hence my question related to balancing feasible quality against cost.
    Dave

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    For me, I'm sorry guys, but the effort of ripping loads of CDs, and then maybe loading up to some form of cloud just seems too much effort. If I want to listen to a CD I just put one in the player.
    This may be false math. No one's precluding me from popping in a CD into the player if I feel like it, of course, even after I've ripped it. But the benefit of popping the CD into my Mac and let it get ripped (for your information, it's not expecting me to shovel coal into a furnace whilst it's ripping it) is a one time cost that is tiny compared to the ensuing years of super convenient ability to have all my music at my fingertips. I use Squeezebox Duet remote, which allows me to cue up any tracks I feel like playing next, as well as enjoy the convenience of browsing my playlists, artists, albums, genres, periods, years, and also search at random. All that from a comfort of my cozy listening armchair, never lifting my lazy ass up.

Nothing compares to this. I have thousands of CDs in my house, and can't tell you how many times I've been pulling my hair trying to find just that special one that I've developed hankering for, but the bugger wouldn't surface. Maybe my son took it without letting me know? Or wait, maybe a friend borrowed it and I forgot about it?

Now, with all my music fully digitized and streamed wirelessly, any thought that pops into my head gets satisfied in a matter of seconds.

This technology truly helped me rediscover music, and fall in love with music all over again. I'd never go back to the music that is arrested inside some dinky easily damaged plastic container (such as CD/DVD) that one has to rip the house apart in order to locate!

Alex.

I'm Chris.

I can't imagine ever wanting to play a CD I own when it sounds so much better streamed via the Transporter.

People who want to cling to spinning discs are missing out. Streamed audio trashes CD replay for sound quality at any price point you care to mention.

The Arcam rDAC will be out any time now. High quality Wolfson DACs, decent output stages and !! ASYNCHRONOUS USB !! for £300. Pair that with a £300 netbook and you have a high end digital source that will thrash any CD player up to several thousand pounds.

Even the venerable Transporter thrashes any CD player up to around £3000. Add a Caiman and it gets even better. However, the new Arcam rDAC may well make the Transporter and Caiman redundant. We shall see.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    No I do use digital in the form of CD,SACD and DVD Audio (not often though). The type of digital I was referring to is that comes out of a computer.

Hey you less of the aged comments please.

You guys who do all this downloading, ripping, streaming instead of playing physical media are creating the environment for the music providers to stop making physical media for me and other like me to play. This is a fact not paranoia and the problem (as I see it) is getting worse. Why should I have to content myself with buying S/H old music (not that there is anything wrong with that) and not bang up to date new releases.

Even if the new music is available as a CD (special order/copy) or Vinyl will it be full bandwidth or a bloody low res recording, because that is what everyone else is buying.

It seems to me that Rome is burning while many play music off their computers. I fear the death of sound quality because those who care about quality are in the minority, even if they/you use a computer as a source. The majority of the public think MP3 is great

I see the possible digital future as being dead, cold and frankly I don't want an upgrade or to be assimilated. Resistance may be futile but I am going to resist.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast