+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who needs 24/96KHz USB

Default Who needs 24/96KHz USB

I get asked for 24/96KHz USB input, but I don't see the point of such heavy investment when clearly TOSLINK and SPDIF is superior in terms of flexibility. The latter are not operating system or PC specific for one. They don't need device drivers.
    So why the infatuation with 24/96KHz USB?

I'm David.

Laziness ... I only use the USB port when it's the easiest option... Ie before I had a computer with a spdif out...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

I use Coax digital out from my PC, so not me.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm ILOB.

A lot of computers/laptops do not have SPDIF out. I think people want to do without hassle of worrying about new PC would be my guess
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm David.

I everyone else is making thier dacs 24/96 via USB it might be good to not be left behind the crowd I suppose...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

There are less than a handful of such DACs, and they all need special drivers on top of the extra cost of the DAC themselves.

I'm David.

the only type of person this might bother is the type of person who uses a net book to play thier music from ... i have never seen a netbook with optical or coax ... but as they are so small and quiet they do make quite good option for a source in a louge

I'm Andy.

Many PC's do not come with built in optical outputs, thus requiring an internal add on sound card (which could colour the sound) and the PC's that do have them built in generallty use the built in sound card on the motherboard which are even more likely to colour the sound than an add on card?

USB data bypasses the PC's sound card and is just sent straight into to the DAC as pure binary data i.e is just a transport?

I think that's a benefit.

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    So why the infatuation with 24/96KHz USB?
    Apart from the practical issue of getting decent spdif out from a computer, it seems to me that in the world of computer audio the arguments over which is the best interface (spdif electrical, spdif optical, firewire or USB) between PC and DAC are far from settled.

Some believe that "asynchoronus" USB mode, as opposed to the more common "adaptive" mode, has the potential to significantly reduce jitter and produce better SQ while also overcoming the 16bit/48kHz limitation. Hence a product like the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 USB DAC , which I think works natively in Windows and Mac OS thanks to using Gordon Rankin's ideas. The designers of the M2tech HiFace dongle also have an "asynchoronus" USB mode solution but choose to convert the final output to spdif.

I've not heard any DAC/device that works this way and I'm probably not likely to in the near future so who knows if it really does offer superior SQ. But USB audio does seem to be the area in which development is fast moving, e.g. use of xilinx chips, VIA produces a USB 2.0 Audio Controller, XtremeUSB and XMOS Audio 2.0 Reference Design. You can find a round up here http://www.audiodesignguide.com/HiResolution/index.html
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm Keith.

The new M2Tech dacs will be async USB and capable of playing everything up to and including 24/192.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast