+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sooloos - the ultimate music server?

I'm InSpace.

Oh!... AND the cost is going to tumble. More and more suppliers (not just HiFi companies) are going to start jumping onto his little band waggon and create fierce competition.

Bring it on!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Er.... this Sooloos price thing is starting to look like small potato's compared to the price of some wristwatches:

http://most-expensive.net/watch-world

Gulp!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Marco,
    It is fairly simple, no box between the pc and dac, just raw data being feed into the dac. Via pro PC card/s
    You can use what ever software you wish.
    However those true high res formats now become a reality, the main issue for yourself would be your dac's inability to full utilise the 24 bits and 192khz.
    And genuinely the differences are quite staggering.
    Lots more of this technology will be evolving in the next 12-18months or so.
    I would be inclined to wait a wee while yet.
    Tony, I'm in no hurry whatsoever. Like I said I'm just sussing out what's available and trying to familiarise myself with the technology.

If my DAC is unsuitable I shall simply keep it to use with CD (I will always have a CDP regardless of what I do about a music server) and obtain what is necessary to use with whatever server system I go for.

Btw, does anyone know how I would go about transferring all my vinyl albums to CD or to a computer hard drive, using my SL-1210 as the source? What sort of hardware/software and cables would I need? Any links to sites showing the necessary gubbins would be appreciated

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Btw, does anyone know how I would go about transferring all my vinyl albums to CD or to a computer hard drive, using my SL-1210 as the source? What sort of hardware/software and cables would I need? Any links to sites showing the necessary gubbins would be appreciated

Marco.
    There's tons of stuff out there Marco, I wouldn't know where to start. But basically you just feed your TT into a ADC (with RIAA correction) and then into your PC. Here's an idiots guide: http://homerecording.about.com/od/tr.../vinyltocd.htm

Sounds a bit 'tecchie' for you though!
    Last edited by Mike; 08-06-2008 at 18:46.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
    Er.... this Sooloos price thing is starting to look like small potato's compared to the price of some wristwatches:

http://most-expensive.net/watch-world

Gulp!
    I'm not big on wrist watches so it's ok. I wouldn't say no to a Patek Philippe, though, if I found one under the Xmas tree

Hi-fi is different ball game. I paid £6k for a brand new Naim CDS2 in 2002 so I would have no qualms doing the same for a Sooloos music server in 2008 if it was a smart move and good enough.

I would rather pay much less, of course! So hopefully you're right about prices tumbling in this sector of the market.

Marco.

P.S Thanks for the link regarding transferring vinyl to CD, etc. I think I'll manage to struggle through it ok
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

I'm sure you and quite a few others would pay £6K for one. Sadly I reckon that once it hits these shores it'll be more like $ = £

IE. £12,000 (that's with importer/distributor/retailer markup of course)

If you're quick of the mark and manage a direct import you might manage something closer to £8K.

Still way too expensive IMHO. Maybe the buyers of that wristwatch wouldn't give a toss, but I do!

I really do think this stuff is going to take off and once that happens the prices will start to tumble. Just like garlic bread..... 'It's the future'!

Let's watch what happens for a while!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I think you're right, Mike. I will certainly be hanging fire for the moment...

However if I were to go for one I would import it direct from the States and have it marked as a 'gift', and pay no duty or taxes just like I done with the Yaqin I imported from China. Bugger paying any dealer mark-up, too!

It wouldn't necessarily be coming from the manufacturer, though. I have contacts in the States so I would simply send them the funds to buy it from the cheapest source there and then send it to me as detailed above, or I could order it from an on-line retailer in the US under the same conditions

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Sounds like a plan... Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

I've imported loads of stuff from all over the world, mainly in connection with bike racing. The ONLY place I've bought stuff and been stung for duty and VAT though, is the good old US of A!

Customs can be as sharp as a pin or as slack as, erm, a very slack thing. Luck of the draw I guess? Always worth a punt !

Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Yep. I've been lucky so far

But then I'm a lucky motherfukka with most things. I've always been the 'fall in shit come out smelling of roses' type

Sometimes though you make your own luck in life.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neal.

Marco,

The Sonos has flexibility, features and great sound on it's side. The controller is dead easy to use, iPod style wheel and many features. Setup is a breeze, the various units discover themselves with a very simple setup routine, simply press the button on the front of each unit and they integrate themselves into the Sonos network.

There are two units, both great sounding, one is a simple access point and the other has a very good amplifier built in.

What I really liked about the system was the way the units networked to each other....devices like the SB are point to point and ingest data only.

The Sonos devices become a network and data can flow in and out of each device and also flow from any device to any device. So I could relay the o/p from my TV into my HiFi and I could also be playing music from my PC into my office system at the same time. I could even play my vinyl from my main system up into my office if I wanted.

The only reason I didn't bite the bullet was because of personal financial circumstances at the time (no job for 6months!) plus I was in full DIY mode with the SB so I never got around to it.

However, I've been thinking about it more recently and I may re-visit it again but alas finances are again tight, due, as coincidence would have it, to my love of expensive watches!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast